Yoga is derived from the Sanskrit word ‘yuj’ which means ‘to unite or integrate’, yoga is a 5,000-year-old Indian body of knowledge. Yoga is all about harmonizing the body with the mind and breath through the means of various breathing exercises, yoga poses (asanas) and meditation. Yoga poses are great to strengthen and relax the body.
Yoga is one of the six orthodox schools of Hindu philosophical traditions. There is a broad variety of yoga schools, practices, and goals in Hinduism, Buddhism, and Jainism.
Following are the advantages of Yoga :
- Increase your flexibility.
- It helps to build muscle strength.
- Prevents from cartilage and joint breakdown.
- Maintains a healthy lifestyle.
- Gives you peace of mind.
- Increase concentration.
- Relief from stress.
- Gaining more control over emotions.
Fitness is the call of today’s world which raising the need of a yoga teacher or instructor on the global platform, thereby it’s been taken up a profession by many.
Courses and Duration
There are many courses available in this field by which students can make their career in this field. Some of the most endeavored courses are:
- Certificate Course:
- Certificate Course in Yoga (CCY): It is a one and a half month course with the eligibility of HSC passed. No age limit for this course.
- Bachelor Course:
- Bachelor in Arts (Yoga Philosophy): Duration of this course will be three years with the eligibility of 10+2 from any stream securing minimum 45% marks.
- Diploma in Yoga Education: It is a one-year duration course with six months internship with the eligibility of graduate from any stream with a certificate in Yoga.
- Master Course:
- Diploma in Yoga Therapy: It is a one-year duration course with the eligibility of graduation with any stream from any recognized university.
- Master of Arts in Yoga: It is a two-year duration course with the eligibility of minimum graduation from any stream.
- Other Course:
- Advanced Yoga Teachers’ Training Course in Yoga (AYTTC): One-month duration course with the eligibility of certificate, diploma or graduation in yoga with two years teaching experience in yoga.
Best colleges to pursue yoga courses are:
- Sivananda Ashrams
- Ramamani Iyengar Memorial Yoga Institute
- Parmarth Niketan
- Ashtanga Institute
- Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Dhanwantari
- Gordhandas Seksaria College of Yoga & Cultural Synthesis
For admission in yoga courses, firstly candidates have to fulfill the basic eligibility criteria prescribed by the institution or college where they are seeking admission. Some colleges offer admission to students on the basis of merit list of qualifying exam.
Various colleges even give admission on the basis of entrance examination followed by group discussion and personal interviews.
An eligible candidate can follow the process given below for admission.
– Fill in the Application form
– Evaluation of forms / Entrance exam / GD and PI
– Admission to course
Admission process for Yoga Courses generally varies across colleges.
- Individuals can pursue yoga courses after passing their 12th (Courses After 12th) class from any stream and for master courses you should hold a graduate degree in any stream. There is not an age limit for admission in yoga courses.
- Specific qualification is not a must, instead, the experience is counted in this field.
- Study and practice under a master yoga instructor is all that is required to qualify one to teach yoga. But, though qualification is not mandatory to be a yoga instructor, a teaching certificate indicates the serious time and interest you have invested in the subject and may increase your authenticity as an instructor.
- The job of a yoga teacher demands hard work and dedication. Excellent anatomical knowledge is the main attribute to be in this field. A positive attitude, professional conduct, a desire to learn and contribute to the students are essential.
Jobs & Career Opportunities
For the Yoga Professionals, there are several job options available both in the government & private sectors. Yoga professionals can also be self-employed by opening your own yoga center.
Yoga also opens various jobs in the given field such as research, management, hospital, academic, administrative, consultation, etc. The government has made it compulsory to have a Yoga teacher in every school.
Duties of a Yoga Instructor include the following :
- Design courses & lesson plans.
- Analyze the fitness level & requirements of all participants.
- Demonstrate and perform all yoga exercises to participants.
- Design safe and comprehensive yoga programs for various participants.
- Monitor participant performance and recommend different yoga exercise.
Some job titles are:
- Yoga Instructor
- Yoga Therapist
- Yoga Advisor
- Yoga Specialist
- Yoga Practitioner
- Yoga Teacher
- Yoga Manager