It has been recently that XAT became an online, computer-based test. As per the past trends, XAT Exam date is supposedly going to be the first Sunday of January month in 2019. XLRI is expected to announce the date that could be 6th January 2019 as the date for the conduction of the exam.
Xavier Aptitude Test – XAT is the second Xavier Aptitude Test – XAT is the second largest MBA entrance test to pursue MBA/PGDM in 11 member institutes and 140 Associate
institutes accepting XAT exam scores XLRI and other top-rated MBA colleges in India will accept XAT 2019 exam scores. XAT exam 2019 will be conducted by XLRI for admission to MBA/PGDM 2019-21 batch in about 150 MBA colleges accepting XAT exam scores in the academic year 2019-21.
XAT 2019 REGISTRATION:
Register online on the XLRI-XAT 2019 Test website (expected to commence from 3rd week of August 2018 onwards) The process of registration continues for at least 100 days.
You’re supposed to upload your latest scanned color passport size photo at the time of Online XAT Registration 2019.
Candidate must provide Correct Name, Date of Birth, Mobile Number and Email Address as these details cannot be changed once the XAT registration is complete. All the above information is required for XAT 2019 Exam Registration.
XAT 2019 Exam Registration process and application fee payment process for the MBA programmes in XLRI is simplified further. Now the candidates can pay the XAT 2019 Exam Fee and Application Fee for XLRI PGDM 2019-21 Programme through ‘ online ‘ Test website along with the XAT 2019.
No changes shall be permitted after closing date Ensure that the information you have filled is accurate in XAT 2019 Registration and application form.
XAT 2019 registration form is to remain online only and there is no XAT 2019 offline registration.
XLRI Jamshedpur has released a 5 step XAT 2019 Registration and Application process.
There is no separate XAT 2019 application form. For XAT 2019 Registration, the candidates
have to complete the process by following 5 steps:
- Step-1: Complete your Profile
- Step-2: Access XAT 2019 Application Form
- Step-3: Complete all the pages in the XAT Application Form
- Step-4: Make Payment online for XAT 2019 Registration
- Step-5: Get Confirmation for successful submission of XAT Registration and Application form
Bank Transaction charges for Online Payment of application fees/intimation charges will have to be borne by the candidate. XAT Registration Fee (without late fee) –Rs. 1650/-
Candidates interested in XLRI programmes need to pay an additional fee of Rs. 300/- each.
XAT Registration Fee (with late fee) –Rs. 2000/- Candidates interested in XLRI programmes needs to pay an additional fee of Rs. 500/- each.
XAT 2019 ELIGIBILITY:
- In order to apply for the XAT exam, all you need is to have a pass in your bachelor’s degree, while other exams might require you to have certain percentage criteria. The eligibility criteria have remained unchanged since long and would supposedly remain the same for 2019 too.
- Eligible genders are male, female as well as the transgenders.
- Other eligibility requirements are as- Valid email ID throughout the process and operating contact number throughout the XAT process.
- No age bar, there’s no age barrier as such, any candidate who has qualified at least a three years bachelor’s degree can appear for the XAT exam
- The percentage of marks obtained by the candidate would be calculated based on the practice as followed by the respective University/Institution.
In case of grades / CGPA, the conversion to the percentage of marks would be based on the procedure as certified by the respective University/ institution in accordance with the XAT exam eligibility criteria.
Mere fulfillment of minimum XAT 2019 eligibility criteria will not ensure consideration for shortlisting by XLRI or other B-schools in which the applicant applies for admission
XAT 2019 Exam Dates:
- The opening of Registration for XAT EXAMS: 3rd week of August.
- Closing dates for Registration: Last week of November 2018.
- Last date for registration & received application only for DD payment: 3rd week of December 2018.
- Admit card issue: 3rd Week of December 2018
- XAT Exam Date: 1st week of January 2019.
XAT 2019 Exam Pattern:
XAT Exam pattern will consist of the following 5 sections and number of questions mentioned against each of them. The number of sections in the XAT question paper pattern in 2019 XAT exam will remain unchanged. However, XAT 2019 pattern will be based on the computer based test instead of an earlier paper-based pattern.
Salient features and key changes in XAT exam pattern 2019:
- XAT pattern: Computer Based Test
- XAT Total Questions: 98
- XAT Question pattern: 97 MCQs
- XAT Question Pattern for the 98th question: Descriptive Type – Essay Writing Test
- XAT Essay Writing Test Pattern: Computer-based
- Word Limitation: 200 words will be the maximum word limit for XAT Essay Writing Test
- XAT Test Pattern for MCQs: Each MCQ is followed by 5 answer options
- XAT Scoring Pattern: +1 Mark for Each Correct answer for MCQs
- XAT Scoring Pattern for Essay Writing: Maximum 3 marks awarded for Essay writing
- Negative Marking in XAT Pattern 2019: 0.25 (¼) mark deducted for MCQs from Sl no.1 to 72
- No negative marking in XAT Question Pattern: MCQs from Sl No. 73 to 97 (GK questions) are free from Negative Marking
- XAT Test Paper Submission: Candidates are allowed to submit test paper after 30 minutes of the test commencement time
- XAT Mock Test 2019: To have a time duration of 2 hours. Actual XAT 2019 paper pattern will have a time duration of 3½ hours
Sectional Composition of XAT Paper Pattern 2019:
The 5 sections and their questions in XAT paper pattern go on changing year after year. However, since 2017, XAT paper pattern has stabilized. It is expected that XAT 2019 paper pattern with sectional composition will not increase the number of questions and as per the last 2 years XAT exam trends, total questions in XAT 2019 question pattern may reduce further from existing 72 or may remain the same.
Major highlights of XAT 2019 exam pattern:
XAT 2019 test paper will be divided into 2 parts: Part I with A, B, C sections and Part II with GK and Essay writing sections.
All questions in the XAT 2019 test paper in 1st three A, B, C sections with 24, 21 and 27 MCQs respectively would carry uniform marking pattern with maximum 1 mark awarded for each correct answer
The score in Part I of XAT 2019 test paper will be accounted for while determining the merit position and shortlisting for PI round
Part I in XAT 2019 exam will have 3 sections A, B, and C in Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs) form
Section A in XAT test paper 2019 would be on Verbal Ability & Logical reasoning and is expected to have 24 questions
The Section B in XAT paper pattern 2019 will be on Decision Making and would consist of 21 questions
Section C in XAT 2019 exam on Quantitative Ability is proposed to have 27 questions
A total number of questions in Part-I would be 72 in XAT 2019 question paper.
Time allowed to attempt part1 in XAT 2019 with 3 sections would be 170 minutes
A break of 5 minutes as turnaround time between Part 1 and Part 2 will be available
Part-II of XAT 2019 test paper would consist of 25 MCQs on General Knowledge
There will be a descriptive writing Essay Topic in Part-II of XAT 2019 question paper
Total time of 35 minutes will be allowed to attempt GK and Essay writing sections in XAT 2019 exam
XAT 2019 test takers would be expected to attempt GK questions in 10 minutes and rest 25 minutes are supposed to be devoted to Essay Writing section.
Marks scored in General Knowledge section of XAT 2019 test paper would only be used at the time of final selection and not for shortlisting candidates for interview/GD
XAT 2019 Exam Pattern: Changes in Negative Marking
XAT 2019 exam pattern reveals that there will not only the penalty of negative marking for wrong answers only but the XAT 2019 test takers will also be imposed with the penalty of deduction of 0.05 mark per question if more than 12 questions are left unattempted in XAT 2019 question paper.
Section-wise XAT Exam Pattern 2019:
XAT exam pattern was totally revamped 3 years ago. Last year XAT pattern was changed to Online Computer-based test from the paper-based test. XAT exam pattern and syllabus for each section and features of XAT exam pattern 2019 are as follows-
VARC & LR: 1st section
XAT exam pattern and syllabus for the Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension (VARC) and Logical Reasoning section comprises the following:
- Total questions: 24
- Type of questions: MCQs
- RC passages: 4
- RC Based questions: 14 to 16
- VA questions: 8 to 10
- VA topics: Vocabulary; Analogy; Para Jumbles, Para completion; Critical Reasoning;
- Lod: Moderate to Very difficult
Decision Making: 2nd section
XLRI exam pattern for Decision Making section decides the fate of candidates. The XAT syllabus and pattern for Decision Making section consists of short cases, decision-making problems. The questions are mostly in sets.
- Total questions: 21
- Type of questions: MCQs
- Question groups: 7 to 8 sets of decision-making problems following by 2 and 3 questions each
- LoD: Moderate to difficult.
Quant & DI: 3rd section
XAT exam pattern and syllabus for Quantitative Ability and Data Interpretation section consist of individual questions from all parts of Quant and Data Interpretation problems followed by questions in sets of 3-4.
- Total questions: 27
- Type of questions: MCQs
- LoD: Moderate to difficult
- Frequently asked topics in Quant & DI Section:
- Questions are frequently asked on Time & Work, Percentage, Profit & Loss, Equations, Number system, Clocks, Geometry, Algebra, Mensuration, Venn diagram, Tables, Bar diagram, graphs
GK: 4th section
There is no XAT syllabus and pattern for the GK section in XAT. The questions can be based on any topic under the Sun.
- Total questions: 25
- Type of questions: MCQs
- LoD: Moderate to difficult
- Question topics: GK questions could be based on any topic including Current domestic and international affairs; Business; Economics; social issues, appointments; conventional GK; sports; Constitution of India among others.
- Key highlight: Not taken into account for the calculation of percentile in XAT exam.
Essay Writing: 5th section
Total Essay questions: 1 or 2
How many to attempt: Need to write an essay on the given one topic only. There may be a choice between 2 topics or may not be any choice if only 1 topic is given
- Type of question: Descriptive
- LoD: Mostly the essay topic is abstract. Good writing skill required
- Time limit to write: In 20 to 25 minutes
- The ideal size of Essay: 300 to 400 words
XAT 2019 Syllabus:
The syllabus is based on past trends in XAT exam pattern and syllabus. The changes over the years in the exam have also been incorporated in the syllabus for XAT 2019.
XAT exam syllabus and pattern overall tests the candidate on Verbal Ability, Reading Comprehension & Logical Reasoning; Decision Making; Quantitative Aptitude & Data Interpretation as the key sections to determine your percentile and merit position.
The other 2 sections – General Awareness (GK) and Essay Writing also do not have any predefined syllabus in XAT exam. You can be asked any question on GK while most of the times the essay topic is abstract as per the XAT exam syllabus.
XAT exam pattern and syllabus cover all the major topics on all the above test sections. XAT 2018 syllabus is proposed to be based on the past paper patterns which contain questions from all the sections
Section wise XAT Syllabus 2019:
Section Highlights: Xavier Aptitude Test (XAT) exam Syllabus for Verbal Ability, Reading Comprehension and Logical Reasoning section in XAT 2019 is divided into 3 parts. The 1st part of XAT 2019 syllabus covers questions based on Verbal Ability; 2nd part of XAT 2019 exam syllabus on the 1st section covers Reading Comprehension passages and the 3rd part of XAT 2019 exam syllabus on VARC & LR section is based on questions on different topics on Logical Reasoning.
Number of Questions: 24. The revamped pattern in XAT exam syllabus for VARC & LR section shows that there are 24 MCQs in this section of the XAT exam.
Major topics covered in XAT 2018 syllabus for VARC & LR are:
Part-1: Verbal Ability
Topics on which VA questions are based:
English Vocabulary based questions – fill in the blanks with correct words;
Synonyms/antonyms; contextual usage on vocabulary words
Correction of errors in sentences, correct use of words
Completion of sentences
Completion of paragraph
Part-2: Reading Comprehension (RC)
The share of Reading Comprehension in VARC LR section is very high.
Topics on which RC passages are based: Abstract topics, Literature, Social and Economic issues; Science & Culture; history & fiction among others.
There is no clear-cut definition of RC topics in XAT exam syllabus. RC passage on any topic under the Sun can be placed in XAT 2018 exam.
Type of RC passages: Moderate and short
Type of Questions: All MCQ type
Format of questions: Questions based on information in RC passage; explanation of the words & phrases as used in the passage; In context of the passage –True/false statements; Author’s view on various issues raised in the RC passage; Inference from the passage; main idea of RC passage; Purpose of the RC Passage
Part-3: XAT exam Syllabus for Logical Reasoning (LR)
The share of LR questions in XAT syllabus for 2019 exam is not very high. Usually, there are few critical reasoning and a few LR based questions in the XAT exam. All questions are of MCQ
Topics covered in XAT exam syllabus 2019 on which LR questions are based: Analogy, Clocks, calendars, Fact, Inference, Judgement, binary logic, seating arrangement, blood relations, logical sequence, assumption, premise, conclusion among others.
XLRI entrance exam syllabus defines that questions on Logical Reasoning can be individual or can be in the sets.
Section-2: Decision Making
Section Highlights: XAT Syllabus on Decision Making is unique as neither cat nor any other national level entrance exam has Decision Making as one of its exam sections. Decision Making is the problem or case solving expertise of a candidate.
Number of Questions: 21
- Major Topics Covered: Xavier Aptitude Test (XAT) measures such skills broadly on following topics
- Conditions and Grouping Test;
- Data Arrangement Test;
- Complex Arrangement;
- Decision Making in a situation;
- Case lets
Section-3: Quantitative Ability & Data Interpretation
Section Highlights: Syllabus of XAT exam 2019 for Quant and DI section is very wide. QA & DI is the 3rd and last section in the revamped XAT exam pattern. This section in XAT 2019 is taken into account for XAT percentile calculation. Syllabus of XAT 2019 for Quant is vast and covers everything in Mathematics that you may or may not expect.
Number of Questions: 27
- Major Topics in XAT Quant Syllabus are:
- LCM and HCF
- Profit and Loss
- Interest (Simple and Compound)
- Speed, Time and Distance; Time and Work; Averages; Ratio and Proportion and others
- Number System
- Geometry including Co-ordinate Geometry
- Pure Math
- Venn diagrams
- Linear Equations
- Quadratic Equations
- Complex Numbers
- Binomial Theorem
- Surds and Indices
- Permutation and Combination
- Probability Functions
- Set Theory
- Mixtures and Allegations
- Data Interpretation (DI)
- Questions in Data Interpretation part in XAT exam are insets in most cases. Sometimes
individual questions are also asked. Topics on which DI questions are based are:
- Data Tables
- Data charts
- Bar diagrams
- Pie charts
- Data analysis and comparison
Section-4: GK and Essay Writing
Highlights: XAT exam syllabus 2019 for the second part in the XAT exam consists of 2 sections. One is General Awareness (GK) which consists of MCQs and other is Essay Writing Test in which you have to write a well-worded essay on a given topic in 200 words on a computer screen in the changed XAT exam pattern.
As per the changed pattern of XAT exam, there would be Multiple Choice type questions in XAT 2019 exam on General Awareness. The score in the GK section will not be counted for XAT percentile calculation.
Number of Questions: 25
- Major Topics Covered are:
- Economics, finance,
- National and International current affairs
- Conventional GK
- Constitution of India
- Company profiles, logos,
- Business & Economy
- Who’s who
- Books & Authors
- Capitals & Currencies
- Essay Writing Test
- Essay Writing in XAT is the test of writing skill of an aspirant. XAT 2019 exam syllabus for Essay Writing prescribes that the test taker should write a coherent and logical essay on the given topic.
- The XLRI entrance exam syllabus on Essay Writing test is not limited to any particular type of topic. Still the past trends in XAT syllabus reveal that it needs a well-worded essay on the contemporary or abstract topic.
- The test taker has to write an essay on one topic but sometimes there is a choice to choose between 2 topics and sometimes there is no choice at all.
- The test taker is supposed to write after giving a thought and produce a better piece of writing in 20-25 minutes. The ideal size of the essay in XAT exam syllabus 2019 is reduced to 200 words. Essay in XAT plays important role in the Personal Interview round as questions are based on what you have written in your XAT Essay.
XAT 2019 Preparation Tips:
The right mantra to score 99+ percentile in XAT exam is to have a clear-cut strategy for each section whether it is verbal and logical ability, quantitative ability and data interpretation, decision making. These are the sections in the first part of the paper while the second paper consists of an essay and general knowledge.
Your XAT score is more about how you handle the three hours of the test than how much you have prepared over the last year.
You’ll need the following.
A good vocabulary & reading comprehension. Learn to read fast. Learn new words every day. This takes time to build, but once you have, half your work is done. XAT questions(even quant questions) use a lot more ‘language’ than the other B-School entrance tests.
Speed. One needs to be able to solve 90 problems in 2-2.5 hours. Believe me, each one of those is a ten-minute problem. Your best allies in this area are Confidence, speed reading, and ability to do the fast mental math, especially approximations.
Confidence helps you take risks.
You’ll need that too. Make educated guesses. Eliminate options, and if it comes down to one out of two, guess. Odds are still in your favor. Attempt as many as you can.
Keep your calm
A little adrenalin is okay, but stay calm. Do not fuss too much over one question or section. Manage your time well. Keep yourself composed.
*SOME KEY POINTS:
Candidates searching for XLRI entrance exam syllabus should note that the XAT exam 2019 syllabus and XLRI Syllabus are not different. XAT syllabus and pattern is the outcome of the topics which have earlier appeared in XAT exam although the type of questions, their composition, format, and number may change in each subsequent XAT exam syllabus.
There wouldn’t be any repetition of XAT questions. The difficulty level of questions as per XAT syllabus 2019 may go higher or lower in XAT 2019 exam pattern.
The XAT 2019 Exam syllabus signifies that the questions in XAT exam 2019 would remain within the prescribed broad areas of XAT exam syllabus 2019.
XLRI-XAT entrance exam syllabus or XAT 2019 exam Syllabus is not pre-defined by XAT 2019 convening XLRI, Jamshedpur nor the XAT syllabus was outlined earlier also. Syllabus of XAT exam 2019 is based on the mentioned guidelines and current structure of XAT exam.
The fact is that you will find it difficult to prepare for XAT unless you know the XLRI-XAT entrance exam syllabus. XAT MBA exam syllabus is much wider than one can anticipate.
XLRI- XAT syllabus does not leave any study topic untouched. The glimpses of XAT syllabus for MBA admission in XLRI, SPJIMR, IMT, XIMB and other top B-schools is a testimony to this fact. Going by the past trends and past XAT exam pattern, XAT syllabus for each section of Xavier Aptitude Test (XAT) is shared above to help the XAT 2019 aspirants to prepare in accordance with the XAT 2019 exam syllabus.
Similar MBA Entrance Exams: