Common Entrance Examination for Design (CEED), is an entrance exam which grants admission to the aspirants in various undergraduate and post-graduate programs. Indian Institute of Technology and Indian Institute of Science (IISc) jointly conduct this examination. On the behalf of Human Resources Development, Government of India, Industrial Design Centre and Indian Institute of Technology (Bangalore) host this examination.
For the first time, IIT Bombay conducted CEED for undergraduate designing courses in 2015.
About UCEED 2019:
Undergraduate Common Entrance Examination for Design (UCEED), is one of the most regarded design entrance examination, conducted every year by various IITs and IISc. Depending upon the performance, admission to various prestigious colleges is given to the aspirants. It is conducted for granting admission into four-year undergraduate courses. UCEED 2019 will be conducted jointly by IIT Bombay, IIT Guwahati, and IIITDM Jabalpur.
Candidates seeking admission to the Bachelor Degree programme in Design (B.Des.) should appear in UCEED 2019.
UCEED 2019 Registration:
UCEED notification will be released in the second week of September 2018. To register for UCEED 2019, candidates can check the registration portal https://uceed.in and can register through this mode only. There will be no offline for the registration. Candidates should check all the eligibility criteria before applying. If they do not meet the conditions, then their registration will be canceled.
UCEED 2019 Application Form:
Candidates can apply for UCEED 2019 on the official website of UCEED i.e. www.uceed.in. According to the authorities, the application form will be issued in the second week of October 2018 (tentative dates). Last application date of the application form will be the Third week of November 2018 tentatively. Before filling the application form, the candidate should read the information brochure thoroughly. To fill the form, candidates will have to do the three things given below:
- Registration: Candidates can register by clicking on the “apply link” on the official website of UCEED. While registration, candidates will have to provide a valid e-mail address and an active mobile number which will be used by UCEED for further communication. After successful registration, an e-mail will be sent to the registered mail address with a validating link and a password will be sent to the mobile number which will be used for completing the registration process.
- Completing the application form: In the application form, candidates will have to enter their personal details. Apart from this, candidates will be asked to choose three exam cities. A photograph, signature, eligibility certificate, and other supporting documents will have to be uploaded while filling the form. After doing all that, candidates will have to an application fee for the examination.
- Paying the application form: Registration fee is non-refundable and must be done via online mode (Net Banking/Debit Card/Credit Card). Following is the fee structure for UCEED 2019:
|For all other candidates||2360/-|
Note: – Candidates who do not register before the last date, will be given a chance to register for the examination. But they will have to an extra fee of 500/-. Candidates who want extra time and scribe during the examination should opt for the option while filling the application form and must upload their related documents.
Documents required while filling application form:
- A recent color photograph in jpg format
- Scanned copy of the signature
- Qualifying examination certificates
- Scanned copy of admit card(for the candidates who are appearing in 12th board exam in 2019)
- Caste Certificate
- Disability Certificate
- Candidates who require extra scribe and time will have to upload a request letter.
UCEED 2019 Eligibility Criteria:
- A candidate should have passed in the qualifying examination (Class 12th or equivalent) in 2018 from a recognized board or will appear in 2019. Those who appeared for the first time in their qualifying examination in 2017 or earlier are not eligible for UCEED 2019.
- The candidate should have been born on or after 1st October 1994 if he/she belongs to General or OBC-Non Creamy Layer category and on or after 1st October 1989 if belonging to SC, ST or PWD category.
- A candidate can give UCEED two times at maximum and that too in two consecutive years. UCEED scores are valid for one year.
- A candidate from any origin (NRI/OCI/PIO) is eligible for UCEED 2019.
- Candidates passed in any stream from a recognized board are eligible for UCEED 2019.
- Candidates from Science stream with subjects Physics, Chemistry and Maths are eligible to apply for all the three institutes. Candidates from other stream are eligible for only IIT Bombay and IIITDM Jabalpur.
Note: – If a candidate is passed out from a board which provides letter grades instead of providing passing grades, then he/she should obtain a certificate from the board specifying the passing grade of the candidate.
UCEED 2019 Exam Date & Pattern:
As per the authorities, UCEED 2019 will be conducted during the third week of January 2019. Candidates can download the admit card from the official website of UCEED i.e. www.uceed.in from December 2018 onwards. Admission card will have the following details of the candidate:
- Name of the Candidate
- Photograph and Signature
- Examination Schedule and Centre Details.
Note: – In case if a candidate does not get his/her to admit card on the website, then he/she should contact the chairperson of IIT Bombay before the specified date.
Candidates will be able to download they admit card from the 4th week of December 2018.
UCEED 2019 will be conducted on a computer and it will be of three hours duration. There will be only one question paper which will be in the English language. The question paper will carry a maximum of 300 marks and a total of 80 questions. There will be six topics in the question paper divided into three sections. All the three sections will have negative marking. Following below are three sections explained in detail:
- Section A: Numerical Answer Type Questions
- Section B: Multiple Select Questions
- Section C: Multiple Choice Questions
For Numerical Answer Type questions, the candidate will have to answer in the form of a number which can be entered by a virtual keyboard given in the computer screen. For every correct answer, 4 marks will be awarded. There is no negative marking in this section. Unattempted questions will be given zero marks.
For Multiple Select Questions, more than one answers can be possible. An answer will be taken as a correct answer if all the options selected are correct and no wrong option is chosen. For every correct answer, five marks will be awarded. And for wrong attempts, 0.5 marks will be deducted.
For Multiple Choice Questions, out of four options, only one option will be correct. For every correct answer, 3 marks will be awarded and for each wrong answer, one mark will be deducted. Unattempted questions will be given zero marks.
UCEED Exam Centre:
UCEED 2019 Syllabus:
UCEED syllabus is divided into six parts described below:
- Visualisation and Spatial Ability: This section consists of questions of pictorial and diagrammatic type, which checks the understanding of transformation and manipulation of two-dimensional and three-dimensional objects. Also, it checks the candidate’s knowledge about mechanical and scientific concepts.
- Observation and Design Sensitivity: This section checks the ability of a candidate to identify properties of simple things, people, or surrounding and to critically think about the circumstances. It checks the capability of a candidate to differentiate between certain situations, and how a candidate analyses, infer and predict a situation.
- Environmental and Social Awareness: It checks the knowledge of candidates in the field of weather, pollution, climate, vegetation, water, population, natural resources, etc and also effects of these points on society and environment. Questions in this section are asked from History of Art and Literature.
- Analytical and Logical Reasoning: It checks the ability of a candidate to look at any information recognize the pattern in the information, to understand opinions, arguments, and suggestions. Questions are related to data interpretation, brain teasers, and two dimensional and three-dimensional patterns
- Design Thinking and Problem solving: It checks the ability of a candidate to use signs, symbols, analogies, etc, how they identify a problem and understand the complexity of it. Questions asked in this section interprets how a candidate evaluates options and then select solutions.
- Language and Creativity: It checks the knowledge of the English language of candidates. Reading Comprehension. Usage of Grammar (tenses, verbs, nouns, pronouns, etc) and vocabulary skills are checked in this section. It checks the ability of a candidate to think uniquely and to distinguish original options.
UCEED 2019 Result:
UCEED 2019 answer key will be released by IIT Bombay in the fourth week of January 2019. Candidates can file for grievances against their doubt by e-mail to the official website. Concerned authorities will declare the result in the third week of February 2019. The scorecard will be available in online mode.
On the basis of marks scored, rank list will be available on the official website. A hard copy of the result will not be given to any candidates. There will be no separate category-wise rank lists. If two candidates score same marks, then rank will be decided according to the below factors:
- The candidate who has scored more marks in section B will have a higher rank.
- If the marks scored in section B are equal, then the score of section A will be taken into account.
A candidate should score minimum marks to come in rank list:
|Category||Minimum % of marks in each Section||Minimum Total Marks|
Candidates who clear the written exam will be called for counseling. Aspirants will have to pay a fee for the counseling round. On the basis of merit, candidates will be allotted seats in the colleges. Seat allotment letter will be sent to the selected candidates on their registers e-mail id.
Preparation Tips for UCEED 2019:
- Candidates should make a time-table at first. They should focus on the main syllabus. Studying for 7-8 hours is just to secure a good rank in UCEED.
- Candidates should practice previous year question papers so that they can analyze their week part and strong part.
- Practicing mock test every day will be an advantage for the candidates.
- Candidates should read the newspaper on daily basis, as it will increase their vocabulary and make grammar strong.
List of institutes which will accept UCEED 2019 Scores:
- Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay
- Indian Institute of Technology, Guwahati
- Indian Institute of Information Technology, Design and Manufacturing, Jabalpur
- Central Institute of Technology, Kokrajhar
- P Institute of Design, Noida
- Lovely Professional University, Phagwara, Punjab
- University of Petroleum and Energy Studies, Dehradun
- VIT University, Vellore, Tamil Nadu
- World University of Design, Delhi NCR
- Chandigarh University, Punjab
- Indraprastha Institute of Information Technology, Delhi