Tour Guide Courses
A Tour Guide is an individual who provides intervention, knowledge on cultural, historical and contemporary heritage to tourists at organized tours, educational establishments and at the thrust of other significant interest.
The job of a tour guide is both congenial and inspiring. A tourist guide is required to make the tourist spot artistically appealing to his audience. A tourist guide’s job demands satisfaction of the curiosity of his/her tourists.
This job is more suitable for those who wish to earn along traveling to variegated corners of this huge planet. It is best suited to those who possess leadership quality as an additional skill to other attributes.
A tour guide needs to be friendly, polite, outgoing, helpful, responsible, trustworthy and should be able to put people at ease.
Courses and its Duration
There are three types of courses under Tourism :
Certificate courses with the duration of six months to 1 year after 12th:
- Certified Training Professional (CTP)
- Travel and Tourism Professional (TTP)
Diploma courses with the duration of 1 – 2 years after 12th:
- Foundation in Travel and Tourism Diploma
- Hospitality Management Diploma
- Hospitality Services Diploma
- Managing the Travel Business Diploma
- Revenue Accounting and Control Diploma
- Travel and Tourism Consultant Diploma
- Travel Sales and Operations Diploma
Degree courses with the duration of 3 years after 12th:
- BA in history
- BA in archeology
- BA in arts
- Sc in geology
- BBA in management
- BA in tourism
- BA in hospitality
Most institutes offering the course admit students based on performance in a relevant entrance test, often followed by a round of personal interview, wherein their general aptitude for the course is tested. Admission process generally varies across colleges.
A few institutes also provide direct admission based on the candidate’s performance at the 10+2 level.
The government of India conducts training for tour guides and upon course completion, the guide is certified and given a license. Tourist guide licenses are issued both at the state and central government level by the respective tourism departments after taking a test.
The candidates are admitted to the course on the basis of a written test for which they need to apply to the particular college or university.
- Fluency in the English language is a must for those joining guide training course.
- Graduates in any discipline from a recognized University OR three-year degree holders in tourism/ Hospitality from a recognized University/ Institute
- Diploma in Archaeology from the Institute of Archaeology under the Archaeological Survey of India, New Delhi or from any other recognized Institution/ University is eligible for applying to the course.
- The minimum age for joining the course is 20 years.
To be an expert tour guide individuals should possess some of the basic requirements like:
- Good customer service skills
- Organizational skills
- Time management skills
- Research skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Safety training
The candidates are admitted to the course on the basis of a written test comprising of :
- Knowledge of monuments/ tourism destinations around the area
- Questions of history
- General Knowledge
Those who are scoring at least a minimum of 50 percent marks in the written test will be selected for the training programme.
Some of the top entrance tests conducted in India for admission to the tour guide course are:
- ITM entrance test
- University entrance test
- MCC entrance test
Jobs & Career Opportunities
The growth of travel and tourism industry has opened up lots of job opportunities not only in India but also in abroad. A tour guide gets the opportunity to see the world. It is a job with no time limit. Candidates have to work for a long 12 hours a day and maybe that on the next day they will be free.
As it is a growing field which offers excellent opportunities in the field of tour operations, tour-packages, sight-seeing etc. Many employment opportunities exist in this industry. Travel services including
- Tour Operators
- Travel Agents
- Transport Service Providers
- Adventure and Leisure Tourism Providers
- Heritage Sites and their Conservation
- Manufacture and Sale of Handicraft Items
- Marketing of Souvenirs.
Starting salary depends on numerous factors. In the case of Government job, the salary will be based on Pay Band and scale.