The major objective of the course is to impart advanced learning to eligible candidates in fundamental principles of Structural Analysis. Students are trained to implement such principles through different methods, in analyses of various types of structures, and to evaluate force and displacement parameters of such structures. Other course objectives include developing expertise in onshore infrastructure and a sound background in specialized areas such as Offshore Structure/ Management (General)/ Bridge Structure/ Hydraulic Structure.
Such postgraduates can explore lucrative career opportunities in areas of structural design and construction, offshore design and construction, oil and gas sector, bridge design, construction management, and hydraulic structure design.
The course aims at providing civil engineering graduates with an advanced conceptual understanding in, and advanced knowledge and technical skills required for analyses and design of structures such as dams, bridges, pipelines, roads, towers and buildings, transport systems, harbours, airports, and railways.
- B.Tech in Civil Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering (structural Engineering)
Entrance Exam – JEE Main 2019
- Post Graduate Diploma in Structural Engineering
- Master of Science in Civil Engineering (Structural Engineering)
- M.Sc in Structural Engineering
- M.Tech in Structural Engineering
Entrance Exam – GATE 2019
To become a chartered structural engineer, it is required to hold post graduate degree in Civil or Structural Engineering.
The B. Tech or B.E course in Civil Engineering is of 4 years while the M. Tech or M.E course in Structural Engineering is of 2 years.
- There are no separate B.E/B.Tech degree courses for Structural Engineering. Aspirants for a career in Structural engineering should first acquire a B.E/B.Tech in Civil/Mechanical engineering from a reputed institution and then go for a M.E/M.Tech in Structural Engineering.
- Masters degree in the field is the minimum requirement to become a qualified structural engineer. An additional degree in business administration is desirable for management positions. The basic eligibility criteria for a BE / B.Tech in Civil Engineering is 10+2 or equivalent examination, with high percentage of marks in Science subjects (Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics).
- Proficiency in Mathematics.
- Interest in, and aptitude for pursuing Information Technology and Mechanical branches of engineering.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Basic awareness of construction methods, and health and safety hazards related to structural engineering.
- Good communication, interpersonal, and leadership skills.
Most institutes admit students based on their performance in a relevant entrance test, followed by a round of Personal Interview. Some institutes conduct their own entrance tests for offering admission. Admission process generally varies across colleges. However, GATE/NET scores are accepted at almost all institutes offering the course.
Admissions to the course are also conducted through a round of central counselling on the basis of the candidate’s obtained merit in PGCET.
Listed below are the major entrance examinations conducted in India for admission to the course:
- Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE)
- UPES ME. in Engineering Entrance Test (UPES)
- Manipal University Online Entrance Test (MU-OET)
- International Institute of Information Technology, Hyderabad
Entrance Exam – GATE 2019
To become a chartered structural engineer it is required to hold post graduate degree in Civil or Structural Engineering.
Subjects and Topics cover under Structural Engineering:
- Theory of elasticity and plasticity
- Structural Dynamics
- Matrix Computer Methods of Structural Analysis
- Soil Structure Interaction
- Concrete structures
- Steel structures
- Disaster resistant structures
- Finite Element Analysis
- Aseismic Design of Structures
- Maintenance and Rehabilitation of Structures
- Industrial structures
There is no B.Tech/B.E. course in structural engineering. However, the aspirants can take B.E/B.Tech in Civil/Mechanical engineering from a reputed institution and then go for a M.E/M.Tech in Structural Engineering.
Students can pursue full-time as well as part-time courses in structural engineering. Many colleges/Universities in India offers M.Tech in Structural engineering through distance mode.
Jobs and Career Opportunities
Duties of a Structural Engineer:
- Making frame work, drawings & specifications of various structures like building, bridges, towers, etc.
- Calculate the stresses, pressures and strain of structural components.
- Checking the properties of building materials like steel, concrete, glass, etc.
- Checking unsafe buildings and advising how to improve structure’s safety.
- Using Computer Aided Design (CAD) & computer technology.
- Making sure that the project meets the legal guidelines, health & safety regulations and environmental rules.
Career in structural engineering is open for graduates of structural & civil engineering. Graduates from other fields can also make career in this field, but it could take longer time to get familiar with this profession. Structural engineers play the most important role in the construction and development of our cities & towns.
- Chief Engineer
- Project Manager
- Division Head
- Supervisory Engineer
- Director of Public Works
- Quality Analysts
- Professor and Teachers
Structural engineers can start their career as a construction designer and can further become project managers. One can seek employment in private section and public sector as well.
Professionals in Structural engineering plays an important role in construction industry. They can also work as a self-employed contract engineer or as consultants. Most structural engineers work in engineering consultancies.
Opportunity in teaching field is also exists for professionals of this field.
Salary Package: –
In India, the starting salary of a fresher structural engineer is Rs. 4 to 5 lacks per annum. With a good experience they can earn more.
At senior level, a structural engineer can earn an average salary of Rs. 8 to 12 lacks per annum.
In the United States, the average salary of a structural engineer is $65k per year.