Science is a branch which involves knowledge about the physical world and its phenomena. Science allows the study of the physical and natural world through experiments. It involves food, water, clothes, air, atmosphere, space, etc.
Science subject is broadly classified into three categories:
This subject involves the study of matter, energy, and the interaction between them. It consists of the study of earth and space. Under this subject, a student studies about energy, motion, mechanics, electricity, force, magnetism, sound, nuclear reactions etc. Physics is further subdivided into the following sections:
- Classical Physics
- Modern Physics
- Nuclear Physics
- Atomic Physics
This subject is all about the study of chemical reactions and properties of matter. Chemistry involves knowledge about the atoms, and how things bind up to create another compound. The subject consists of topics like states of matter, matter’s composition, and properties of matter. The subject is divided into the following parts:
- Analytical Chemistry
- Inorganic Chemistry
- Organic Chemistry
- Physical Chemistry
- Biophysical Chemistry
Biology is the study of life. It consists of the study of origin, growth, evolution, structure, function, and distribution of living organisms. Biology consists of the following subdivision:
- Cellular Biology
- Evolutionary Biology
- Molecular Biology
Apart from the above three subjects in Science, Mathematics is also included under Science Stream. Mathematics is the study of topics like quantity, space, structure, etc. Mathematics is further divided into the following sections:
- Computational Sciences
Different Types of Science Courses and their Duration:
Selecting the right course after 10th is one of the most important things in the career of a student. A candidate who has done senior secondary standard with Science as a subject can opt from the below courses:
- Engineering: Engineering is one of the most famous and desired courses in India at present. There are many universities which offer undergraduate and postgraduate courses in Engineering. The duration of the undergraduate engineering course in four years and the duration of the postgraduate courses is two years. The course provides the degree in the form of Bachelor of Engineering or Bachelor of Technology.
- MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery): A candidate who has passed the 12th examination with biology as the compulsory subject can go for this course. The course allows a student to learn about neurosurgery, orthopedics, psychiatry, and many more. The MBBS is a 5.5 years undergraduate course in which internship for one month is mandatory.
- B.Sc. in different subject combinations: B.Sc. is known as Bachelor of Science. This is an undergraduate course of duration 3 years. List of few subjects available under this degree is given below:
- Computer Science
- Biomedical Science
- Polymer Science, and many more.
- Arch.: Bachelor of Architecture is a five years long undergraduate course a Science graduate can do after 12th standard.
- BAMS: BAMS is known as Bachelor in Ayurvedic Medicine and Surgery. It is an undergraduate course of duration four and a half years. The students with biology can choose this course. Under the course, a student is taught about anatomy, physiology, history of the Ayurvedic system, etc.
- Pharm.: A student who wants to make his/her career in the field of pharmacy can choose this course. It is an undergraduate course of four years duration.
Entrance Examinations for Different Courses and their Eligibility:
- Engineering Entrance Examinations: Joint Entrance Examination (JEE) is usually considered to grant admission in engineering courses. Apart from this, there are a number of engineering colleges which takes their separate examination to shortlist the eligible candidate like BITSAT, VITEEE, CUSAT, etc.
A candidate appearing or have appeared in the 12th examination and cleared it with minimum % criteria according to the particular college is eligible to apply for the admission.
- Medical Entrance Examinations: A candidate has a number of choices to get admission in a medical college. AIIMS (All India Institute of Medical Sciences) MBBS, JIPMER (Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education & Research), NEET (National Eligibility cum Entrance Test) are the top examination in the section of medical.
- Sc., B.Pharm., and BAMS Entrance Examinations: The admission in these courses are given on the basis of marks scored in the entrance examination conducted by the university. Also, there are some universities which allow admissions on the basis of marks obtained in the 12th examination. Interested candidates are advised to check the website of colleges individually for more details.
Jobs & Career Opportunities:
There are a lot of job opportunities available to a Science student. One of the best advantages available to a Science student is that he/she can switch to other courses after 12th examination. After doing an undergraduate or postgraduate course, a student can find employment in any field. One of the few choices available are given below:
- Healthcare Professional
- Business Professional
- Biochemist or Biophysicist
- Hydrologist, and many more.