Punjab Technical University is a State University located at Jalandhar (India) and it was established by an act of Legislature on 16th January 1997. PTU is now known as I. K. Gujral Punjab Technical University (IKGPTU). It was established to promote the management, technical, and pharmaceutical education in the state of Punjab. PTU offers various undergraduate, postgraduate, and research courses. Admissions to these courses are based on the scores of various entrance examinations. For M.Sc, B.Arch., and Journalism also, PTU conducts exams to grant admission.
|Type of Course||Name of Course|
|Undergraduate||Bachelor of Technology|
|Bachelor of Urban Planning|
|Bachelor of Science|
|Bachelor of Pharmacy|
|Bachelor of Architecture|
|Postgraduate||Master of Technology|
|Master of Science|
|Master of Arts|
|Master’s in Business Administration|
Punjab Technical University’s Campuses:
|Bhikhiwind||Dinanagar||Hoshiarpur, and Khunimarja|
Admissions to Bachelor’s and Master’s Courses:
The university will not organize any other entrance examination for the admission purpose. Admissions shall be granted on the basis of following examinations:
|Name of the Course||Qualifying Examination|
|Bachelor’s in Technology||JEE Main Score/12th Score|
|Bachelor’s in Pharmacy||12th Score|
|Bachelor’s in Architecture||NATA/12th Score|
|Master’s in Technology||GATE|
|Master’s in Business & Administration||CMAT|
|Master’s in Pharmacy||GPAT|
|MCA||Scores obtained in BCA|
How to Apply for Punjab Technical University:
Candidates can apply for the admission in I. K. Gujral Institute of Technology by registering themselves on the official website http://ptucampusadmission.org. Tentatively, registration will start in the second week of May 2019. New candidates shall register themselves on the portal and then start filling the form. After providing all the details, a scanned copy of the photograph shall be uploaded. An application fee shall be paid to participate in the admission process by the applicant.
An application fee of Rs. 500/- (Rs. 250/- for SC/ST) shall be paid via online or offline mode. Apart from this, applicants shall have to pay a fee of Rs. 2000/- as counseling fee at the start. Payment for Counselling shall start from May 2019. Without payment, applicants will not be able to register themselves. Fees can be paid through online (net-banking/credit card/debit card) or offline mode. For offline mode, a challan can be obtained from the website and the money shall be deposited at the nearest bank.
Note: – The fee deposited will not be refunded. Only Visa & Master Card will not be accepted.
PTU 2019 Eligibility Criteria for Different Courses:
For Bachelor in Technology:
- A candidate should have passed the 12th examination or Diploma from any engineering stream or two-year certificate course from Sant Longowal Institute of Engineering and Technology or any such examination from any other recognized State Board of Technical Education.
- Candidate should have passed the 12th with Mathematics and Physics as compulsory subjects along with optional subjects Biotechnology, Chemistry, Biology, and Computer Science.
- A candidate should have a JEE Main 2019 Score Card.
- The candidates who are appearing in the qualifying examination shall also be eligible to appear for counseling based JEE (Main) merit but the admission shall be provisional. They should submit all the required documents at the time of counseling.
For Bachelor in Technology (Lateral Entry):
- A candidate who has passed Diploma examination from an AICTE institution and have obtained at least 45% marks (40% marks for SC/ST) in appropriate branch of Engineering/Technology, shall be eligible for lateral entry.
- A candidate who has passed B.Sc. Degree from a recognized university as defined by UGC, with at least 45% (40% marks for SC/ST) and passed 12th with Mathematics as a subject, shall be eligible to apply.
For Bachelor in Architecture:
- A candidate should not have less than 50% in aggregate or he/she has passed an examination at the end of the new 12th scheme of Senior School Certificate Examination or equivalent with Mathematics as one of the subjects in 10+2 examination. OR a candidate should have passed 10+3 year Diploma with subject Mathematics duly recognized by central/state Government as equivalent to 10+2 level with minimum 50% aggregate with Mathematics as compulsory subject examination.
- A candidate should have passed the National Aptitude Test in Architecture (NATA) conducted by the Council of Architecture and marks secured in the qualifying examination in the ratio of 50:50. In order of merit, candidates securing higher marks in NATA will get preference in rank.
For Bachelor in Pharmacy:
- A candidate should have passed the 10+2 examination from a recognized board with Physics and Chemistry as mandatory subject along with one of the Mathematics/Biotechnology/Biology shall be eligible. Also, a candidate should have obtained at least 45% (40% for SC/ST) in the above-mentioned subjects.
- A candidate who has passed Diploma Pharmacy from an institute affiliated to Punjab State Board of Technical Education shall be eligible to get the admission.
For Bachelor in Pharmacy (Lateral Entry):
- All those candidates who have passed the Diploma in Pharmacy from a recognized university and also, should have obtained a minimum of 45% (40% for SC/ST category) in the above-mentioned examination.
For Master in Technology:
- A candidate should have passed B.E/B. Tech with a minimum of 50% aggregate (45% for SC/ST) and with a valid GATE score shall be eligible for the admission in M.Tech courses.
For Master in Pharmacy:
- A candidate should have passed Bachelor’s in Pharmacy with a minimum of 55% aggregate (50% for SC/ST) and with a valid GPAT 2019 shall be eligible to apply for the course.
- A candidate who has done Bachelor’s degree of minimum of three-year duration in any discipline from a recognized university and with a valid CMAT rank shall be eligible to apply for the course.
- A candidate shall be admitted to 3 year MCA course on the basis of inter-se-merit in the qualifying examination. All the candidates should have passed any recognized Bachelor’s degree of minimum three years duration with Mathematics at 12th or at graduation level.
- A candidate should obtain a minimum of 50% (45% for SC/ST) in the qualifying examination.
List of Examinations considered for the Admissions in PTU 2019:
- NATA: – NATA (National Aptitude Test in Architecture) is a national level examination conducted by National Institute of Advanced Studies in Architecture through which candidates can get admission in undergraduate courses in Architecture.
Tentatively, NATA will be conducted in the last week of April 2019. The exam will be divided into two parts: Part A and Part B. Part A will have 60 questions from General Aptitude and Mathematics and will have multiple choice type objective questions. Part B will have 2 drawing based questions and have to be answered on A4 size paper. The exam will be of three-hour duration. There will be no negative marking and the language of the paper will be English only.
- GATE: – GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering) is a national level examination conducted by Indian Institute of Technology. It is a computer-based test which will have multiple choice type questions. The question paper will have 65 questions and the duration of the paper will be three hours. Gate exam will be divided into three sections: General Aptitude, Engineering Mathematics, and related subjects. For each correct answer, one marks will be awarded. There will be negative marking for multiple choice questions.
An application fee of Rs. 1500/- (Rs. 750/- for SC/ST) shall be paid for the examination.
Note: – Candidates who want to get admission in 2019 M.Tech batches in PTU must apply for GATE 2019 before 1st October 2018.
- GPAT: – GPAT (Graduate Pharmacy Aptitude Test) is an online entrance examination conducted by National Testing Agency. All the candidates who want to do Master’s in Pharmacy in the PTU must apply for the examination. Online registration for the examination will start from 1st November 2019. The examination will be held on 28th January 2019. The Registration fee for the examination is Rs. 1400/- (Rs. 700/- for SC/ST).
GPAT will be conducted through online mode and the duration of examination is three hours. There will be 125 questions and will be of multiple choice type questions. For each correct answer, one marks will be awarded. There will be negative marking. One marks will be deducted if answered wrong.
- CMAT: – CMAT (Common Management Admission Test) is an online test conducted by All India Council of Technical Education every year. Registration for the examination shall start from 1st November 2019. The mode of the examination is online and the questions will be of objective type. The test will be of 180 minutes and there will be 100 questions in total.
PTU 2019 Counselling:
The University will tentatively start the counseling from the first week of June 2019. PTU will shortlist all the rank-holders and call them for the counseling round. PTU does counseling in various rounds. Below is the list of documents required while counseling:
- Residence Certificate
- Counseling Fee Deposit Receipt
- Two passport size photographs
- JEE Main 2019/GATE 2019/GPAT 2019/CMAT 2019/NATA 2019 Score Card
- Category Certificate
- Character Certificate
- Allotment Letter
NOTE: – 85% seats have been reserved for the applicants of Punjab. Rest 15% are selected on the basis of ranks secured in the various examination. If seats remain vacant, then inter-state merit list is used to fill the vacant seats.