Philosophy is the study of the fundamental nature of knowledge, reality, and existence, especially when considered as an academic discipline. It is the study of fundamental and general matters like knowledge, existence, values, reason, mind, and language. Philosophy is a way of thinking about the world, society and the world, and the relationship between them.
Streams of Philosophy:
The seven main streams of Philosophy are given below:
- Epistemology: Epistemology is the branch of philosophy which allows the study of nature, origin, and limits of human knowledge. It examines the nature of knowledge and how it is related to truth, justification, and belief.
- Logic: Logic is the study of reasoning and principles, and criteria of valid demonstration and conclusion. It helps to differentiate between good reasoning and bad reasoning. Logic investigates and categorizes the structure of statements and arguments.
- Ethics: Ethics is the philosophical study of moral values and rules. Ethics is the moral philosophy which helps to define right conduct and the good life. It defines the theory of right action.
- Metaphysics: It is one of the branches of philosophy which is concerned with the nature of existence, being and the world. It is the foundation of philosophy. Metaphysics deals with the first principle of things like being, knowing, time, identity, and space. It is the branch which studies the essence of a thing.
- Aesthetics: It is the branch of philosophy which deals with the nature and appreciation of beauty, art, and good taste. The branch is closely related to the philosophy of arts. It deals with notions such as the beautiful, the ugly, the sublime, etc.
- Political Philosophy: Political Philosophy allows study about the state, politics, government, justice, liberty, etc. It is concerned with the concepts and arguments involved in political opinion. The branch concerns itself with questions of the state and government.
Different Courses in Philosophy and their Duration:
A candidate can pursue his/her career in the field of philosophy by doing the following courses:
- Undergraduate Courses: A candidate can do a Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Arts (Hons.) course in Philosophy from a university. The duration of this course is three years. The course involves the introduction of the various branches of Indian and Western Philosophy.
- Postgraduate Courses: A candidate can do Master of Arts and Master of Art (Hons.) in Philosophy. The duration of the course is two years. The course involves the study of the philosophies of different philosophers from the modern western world.
- Doctoral Courses: Apart from the undergraduate and postgraduate degree, a candidate can do doctoral courses M.Phil. and Ph.D. in Philosophy. This course prepares a student with the specialist subject knowledge and research skills to train the students.
Eligibility Criteria for Different Courses:
- Undergraduate Course: The students who have passed 10+2 examination or appearing in the 12th standard examination from a recognized board can apply for the undergraduate program. The candidates who are appearing in the qualifying examination should submit all the required documents at the time of counseling. Apart from this, some institutes take entrance examinations to shortlist the eligible candidates.
- Postgraduate Course: The candidates who have done graduation in any stream or appearing in the final semester of graduation can apply for the course. However, a candidate who is in the final year should submit all the essential documents at the time of counseling.
- Doctoral Course: A candidate who has done graduation and postgraduation can apply for the doctoral course. Also, he/she must clear the entrance examination conducted by the university.
List of Colleges Offering Different Courses:
Colleges offering Bachelor of Arts and Master of Arts in Philosophy Course:
- Banaras Hindu University
- Christ University, Bangalore
- Fergusson College, Pune
- Indraprastha College for Women, Delhi
- Jai Hind College, Mumbai
- Jawaharlal Nehru University, Delhi
- Jadavpur University, Kolkata
- Lady Brabourne College, Kolkata
- Lady Shri Ram College for Women, Delhi
- Loyola College, Chennai, Tamil Nadu
- Miranda House College
- Madras Christian College, Chennai
- Presidency University, Kolkata
- Ramnarain Jhunjhunwala College, Mumbai
- Stephen’s College, Delhi
Colleges offering Doctoral Courses in Philosophy:
- Indian Institute of Science
- Indian Institute of Technology
- Indian Statistical Institute
- University of Hyderabad
Jobs & Career Opportunities:
A candidate who has done above courses have a number of job opportunities after completing their course successfully. A candidate with philosophy graduation can make his/her career in Law, Health Professions, Science, etc. Below is the list of few employment areas a candidate can choose:
- Business and Finance
- Marketing and Sales