Petroleum Engineering is a branch of engineering which deals with the production of hydrocarbons. The branch came into effects first in California in 1890. Petroleum engineering is basically a combination of mechanical, civil, and chemical engineering. The branch focuses on processes that allow the exploitation and development of crude oil and natural gas fields. A petroleum engineer understands the geological structures and conditions for petroleum deposits.
Petroleum Engineering offers knowledge in disciplines given below:
- Petroleum Geology
- Formation Evaluation
- Oil and Gas Production
- Reservoir Engineering
- Well Engineering
- Artificial Lift Systems
- Formation Evaluation
Streams Available in Petroleum Engineering:
Petroleum Engineering has different streams which consist of different subject combinations. List of few streams in petroleum engineering is given below:
- Petrochemical Engineering: Petrochemical Engineering is a combination of petroleum engineering and chemical engineering. The branch deals with the operations involved in refining petroleum or crude oil by the use of advanced technology. The branch teaches about acoustics and noise control, advanced marine structures, coastal engineering, thermodynamics, flow-induced vibration, random vibration, and many more.
- Applied Petroleum Engineering: The branch teaches about different practices in the fields of natural gas processing, gas transportation, and gas utilization techniques. The branch deals with the hydrocarbon chain and domains relevant to that. It encompasses exploitation, reservoir, and production.
- Petroleum Refinery Engineering: This branch is a combination of petroleum and chemical engineering. The branch involves various processes used in petroleum refineries.
- Petroleum Reservoir and Production Engineering: This branch is a subset of petroleum engineering and production engineering. The branch helps to prepare engineers to gain knowledge in designing and selecting equipment to produce oil and gas well fluids.
Different Types of Petroleum Engineering Courses and their Duration:
A student who wants to pursue the career in petroleum engineering can choose from the below courses according to the eligibility he/she possesses:
- Undergraduate Courses: The duration of the undergraduate course is four years. A candidate can obtain Bachelor of Technology or Bachelor of Engineering in any of the streams explained above in petroleum engineering.
- Postgraduate Courses: The duration of the postgraduate course is two years. A candidate can obtain a Master of Technology or Master of Engineering degree in any of the stream in petroleum engineering.
Eligibility Criteria for Admission in Petroleum Engineering:
For undergraduate course:
- A candidate should have passed the 12th examination with minimum % aggregate as per the college from a recognized board. Also, he/she should have studied 11th and 12th standard with physics, chemistry, and mathematics as the compulsory subject.
- A candidate must clear the entrance examination held by the exam authorities of the university. For IITs, NITs, etc. candidate must clear JEE Mains and Advanced Examination.
For postgraduate course:
- A candidate must be a graduate in engineering from a recognized university.
- A candidate must clear GATE and have a valid scorecard. There are some institutes that conduct their separate admission tests. An aspirant must clear the examination to be eligible for the course.
Entrance Examinations for Admission in Petroleum Engineering:
For undergraduate courses:
- JEE Mains: It is a national level examination which allows admissions in top colleges like IITs, NITs, IIITs, etc. Joint Entrance Examination (JEE) is held every year at the national level by CBSE to allow admissions in various engineering colleges across the country.
- BITSAT: Birla Institute of Science and Technology (BITSAT) is an entrance examination held by the institute which allows admission in Bachelor of Engineering course in various disciplines.
- COMEDK: Consortium of Medical, Engineering, and Dental Colleges of Karnataka is an examination which allows admissions in various fields in the colleges present in Karnataka. For more details, candidates can check the website comedk.org.
- VITEEE: Vellore Institute of Technology conducts an entrance examination to allow admission in the various engineering discipline. For more details, interested candidates can check the website vit.ac.in.
Similarly, there are many private colleges which conduct examinations to grant admission in the undergraduate course in Chemical Engineering. Below is the list of few examinations:
- BVP CET
- VTUEEE and many more.
- GATE: Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering is an examination conducted by IITs every year through which a candidate can get admission in IITs, NITs, and other universities for post-graduation course in engineering.
Jobs & Career Opportunities:
A student from petroleum engineering may pursue his/her career in any field. List of the few job profiles is given below:
- Petroleum and Production Engineer
- Pipeline Transportation Engineer
- Drilling Engineer
- Reservoir Engineer