Gynecology is the branch of physiology and medicine which deals with the functions and diseases specific to women and girls, especially those affecting the reproductive system. Gynaecology basically deals with the ailments concerning the reproductive organs like uterus, fallopian tubes, cervix, vagina, and ovaries.
A gynecologist is a doctor who specializes in women’s health, with a focus on the female the reproductive part. A gynecologist may detect fungal, bacterial, viral and protozoal infections.
Different Types of Courses Available in Gynaecology and their Duration:
A candidate who is interested in Gynaecology can do the following courses:
- Postgraduate Diploma in Gynaecology & Obstetrics: The duration of the course is two years. It is a postgraduate level Obstetrics Diploma Course and the program offers various clinical training and enables a student to be experienced in surgical management. The degree involves the study of Obstetrics, Gynaecology, Family Planning, and Clinical Skills. The degree can be done in the following forms:
- Post Graduate Diploma in Maternal & Child Health
- Post Graduate Diploma in Obstetrics & Gynaecology
- Post Graduate Diploma in Gynaecology & Obstetrics
- Doctor of Medicine in Gynaecology & Obstetrics: The duration of the course is three years. This course enables a student to learn skills like hysteroscopy and other uterine instrumentation, assessing the progress of labor, etc. The duration of the course is three years.
- Master of Surgery in Gynaecology & Obstetrics: The duration of the course is two years. The course involves applied basic sciences, diseases of new-born, gynecology, etc.
- Certificate Courses: A candidate can do a certificate course in Obstetrics Assistance, and Gynaecology & Obstetrics. The duration of the certificate course is six months.
Eligibility Criteria for Different Courses:
- Postgraduate Diploma Courses: To be eligible for admission in this course, a candidate must have done MBBS from a Medical college which is recognized by the Medical Council of India. Also, he/she should have completed one year of internship.
- Doctor of Medicine in Gynaecology & Obstetrics: To be eligible for admission in this course, a candidate must have done MBBS from a Medical college which is recognized by the Medical Council of India with a minimum of 55% aggregate.
- Master of Surgery in Gynaecology & Obstetrics: To be eligible for admission in this course, a candidate must have done MBBS from a Medical college which is recognized by the Medical Council of India with a minimum of 50% aggregate.
- Certificate Courses: A candidate with any educational background can do the certificate course in Gynaecology & Obstetrics, and Obstetrics Assistance. However, he/she must be a 10th passed student from a recognized board.
Admission Process & Entrance Examinations for Different Courses:
The admission process of different institutes is different. However, a candidate must have done MBBS to be eligible for the admission in MD or MS courses. To be eligible for MBBS entry, a candidate must appear for NEET (National Eligibility Entrance Test). It is a national level examination conducted by the National Testing Agency once a year. Through this examination, various medical colleges give admission in MBBS and other medical programs.
List of Other Entrance Examinations for Admission in MD/MS Courses:
- JIPMER (Jawahar Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education) Exam- The examination is held by the Institute for admission in 200 seats available in JIPMER. Interested candidates can apply for the admission on the website http://jipmer.puducherry.gov.in.
- AIIMS (All India Institute of Medical Sciences), Delhi: AIIMS conducts its separate entrance examination for the admission in MBBS course. Eligible candidates can apply for the admission test on the website https://www.aiimsexams.org.
- SGPGIMS (Sanjay Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Medical Sciences), Lucknow: The University conducts its entrance examination for the admission in MD/MS/Ph.D. courses. For further details, candidates can check the website http://www.sgpgi.ac.in.
- NIMHANS (National Institute of Medical Health and Neuro Sciences), Bangalore: The University grants admission to various Ph.D. and Post Graduate Diploma Courses in various department. For more details, candidates can check the website http://www.nimhans.ac.in.
Jobs & Career Opportunities in Gynaecology:
A person with the above-mentioned courses can work in public or private organizations. One can work in various fields like defense hospitals, clinics, government hospitals, nursing homes, NGOs, healthcare centers, medical labs, content writing (medical), medical colleges, etc. Below is the list of job profiles a person can choose to make his/her career:
- Clinical Associate
- General Physician
- Junior Consultant
- Key Accounts Manager
- Senior Resident
- Senior Registrar