Graduate Record Examinations (GRE) is a test that grants admissions for graduate schools in the United States. If a candidate is planning to do graduation from abroad, whether it is in business or law, then he/she need to take the examination. More than a million students participate in this exam and more than 1200 business schools, including schools like Harvard, grants admission to the aspirants based on the marks scored in this exam.
About GRE 2019:
Graduate Record Examinations is organized by Educational Testing Service (ETS), a United States based organization. ETS is governed by a 16 member Board of Trustees. Providing admissions to masters and doctoral degree programs in various universities, Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching established this test, in 1936. A candidate can give GRE throughout the year.
GRE exam is basically of two types: basic GRE exam and GRE Subject exam.
Note: – A candidate can only appear for GRE five times a year and not before 21 days of attending the last exam.
GRE 2019 Registration:
There are multiple options available to register for GRE.
For online mode:
To appear for the examination, candidates should register themselves by creating a “My GRE Account”. To register through online mode, candidates can register on http://www.ets.org/mygre. Candidates can register for the examination before two days in case of online mode.
Candidates who will attend the test from Mainland China, they should register for the exam through NEEA Account via online mode. If a candidate thinks to attend the exam in Nigeria, then he/she should pay through Visa, PayPal only. For money order or paper check mode, candidates from Nigeria will need to request an Authorization Voucher by e-mail.
For phone registration:
Candidates from United States, Guam, Canada, can register themselves for GRE via calling on 1-443-751-4820 or 1-800-473-2255. For other areas, candidates can register by calling to their regional registration centers. To do that, they can visit on the website https://www.ets.org/s/mygre/rrc. For candidates from Nigeria, only Visa and voucher numbers are accepted.
Registration by e-mail:
To register by e-mail, a candidate can complete the registration form at www.ets.org/gre/revised_general/about/bulletin and mail it with the payment to the address given on the form. Candidates can check the last date on the website www.ets.org/gre/general/testdates.
GRE 2019 Application Form:
As there are two types of GRE exam: GRE subject tests and GRE General tests. Most of the colleges admit students on the basis of marks scored in General test. So, a candidate can apply for the exam he/she wants to take. After this, candidates will be asked to select the date and center for the examination. Academic details will be asked after that step. And after completing all the details, candidates will have to the application fee which depends on the country a candidate is applying from.
GRE Subject Tests Dates:
|Test Date||Regular Registration|
|15th September 2018||3rd August 2018|
|27th October 2018||14th September 2018|
|6th April 2019||22nd February 2019|
GRE Application Fee for various countries is given below:
For GRE General Test:
|Name of the Country||Application Fee|
For all other countries, candidates have to an application fee of $205.
For GRE Subject Test:
For all the countries: $150.
Apart from these, there will be extra fees for the below things:
|Special Handling Requests||Amount to be paid|
|Late Registration Fee||$25|
|Rescheduling Fee- China||$53.90|
|Changing Exam Center||$50|
|Changing Exam Subject||$50|
Note: – GRE fee for Indian candidates is 14,555/-. The test price is always according to the exchange rate of dollar and rupees.
GRE 2019 Eligibility Criteria:
For GRE, there are no specific eligibility criteria. A candidate with any age and qualifications can apply for GRE. An aspirant with any qualification can give GRE at any age. But there are certain things a candidate must have an original passport as proof of their identity.
Since GRE also allows students to get admission into the Post-graduate program, therefore a candidate who is applying for a post-graduate program should have done the under-graduate course from a recognized university. The only thing to be eligible for GRE is that the candidate should prove their identity. Having a passport is mandatory. No other option will be accepted.
GRE Exam Dates & Pattern:
A candidate can give GRE exam at any time in a year. There is no fixed date for GRE, unlike other exams. But a candidate can give GRE once in every 21 days and five times in a year. This is applicable for the candidates who cancel the exam after booking their dates. They cannot appear for the exam before 21 days. Aspirants can book their exam dates on the official website of GRE according to their convenience and availability.
GRE test is of 3 hours and 45 minutes duration. The total score is 340 marks and questions are of multiple choice type. It can be of online mode or offline mode, and that depends on the country. There are few countries in which a student can take GRE via offline mode (Pen Paper mode). In India, there are few centers which allow candidates to take GRE via offline mode. GRE test is divided into three parts for the paper-based and computer-based exam.
For Paper-Based exam:
- Verbal Reasoning: In the verbal reasoning section, questions are asked from reading comprehension, sentence equivalence, text completion, and vocabulary testing. There will be 2 sections and 40 questions in total. Candidates should work on their vocabulary part to score in this section as well as they should know strategies to solve critical questions. A candidate will have 30 minutes to solve this section. This section is graded on a scale of 130-170, in one point increments.
- Analytical Writing: This section is divided into two parts i.e. an issue task and an argument task. In the issue task, candidates will have to select a topic and then they will have to explain why the topic is chosen by them. Each section has a time limit of 30 minutes. In the argument task, candidates will be asked to critique the topic they choose. So, candidates will have 60 minutes to solve the complete the task. This section is graded on a scale of 0-6, in half-point increments.
- Quantitative Reasoning: This section consists of 20 questions per section. There will be two sections. 70 minutes in total will be given to the aspirants to solve the paper, 35 minutes for each section. Questions from algebra, geometry, data analysis, applied mathematics, and arithmetic are asked in this section. This section is graded on a scale of 130-170, in one point increments.
Note: There are two more sections which are asked in GRE: Unscored and Research sections. GRE has 6 sections and a break will be given to the candidates after 3rd section. A one minute break is given to the candidates after every section.
GRE Subject Tests:
There are 6 GRE Subject tests which are given below:
- Literature in English
A total score on a scale of 200-990 is given for this test with 10-point increment. GRE admission card is sent to the candidates via e-mail after the complete process of registration. It is mandatory to bring the admit card, otherwise, they will not be allowed to appear for the examination.
When a candidate finishes the GRE test, he/she will also get a percentile score in their score report.
GRE 2019 Centers in India:
In India, there are 22 centers which are given below:
Most of the centers conduct the exam via online mode. There are a few centers which take offline mode.
GRE result will be declared on the official website of GRE. Cut-off will be decided by different universities according to the number of students applied and the number of availability of seats in the university. GRE scores are valid for five years. Different universities display their available courses and cut-offs on their websites after the declaration of result.
A candidate should try to score above 160 marks in the verbal section and quantitative section as well. Overall scoring above 320 marks, can give a candidate chance to be in a good university.
GRE 2019 Preparation Tips:
- ETS GRE provides various free and paid GRE preparation material. ETS provides a preparation software named PowerPrep, which consists of two practice sets and review material.
- A candidate should make a timetable to get a perfect score.
- Candidates should understand the test format and structure before applying for the exam. They should panic thinking about the entire syllabus. They should focus only on the topics asked in the exam.
- Candidates should practice previous year question paper. That will give them an idea about their strong and week parts.