Gem is one of the most precious and important parts of Indian culture. Indians have desired to achieve both precious & semi-precious gemstones such as diamonds, sapphires, emeralds, rubies for their astrological significance. Gemstones are also considered as symbols of power and prosperity.
Gemology is the study of science in which you can learn how to identify the natural gem, diamond, stones, asteroids, etc. In this course, you can also learn about the depth knowledge of gems.
Geology deals with the natural as well as artificial gemstone materials.
Gemologists study the atomic structure of a gemstone & identify its origin. They study the classification of the natural gemstones and discover the way to prevent their damage.
With the trend of gems, the gemology studies are also rising in India as well as in abroad countries. In India, the tradition of wearing ornaments which are made up of gems, stones & different kinds of stone are very much in demand. So, the scope of Gemology is never-ending. In this profession, you can establish your own business or work with other companies. After completion of this course, you can adopt various lucrative jobs & opportunities.
Gemologists can also work as a jewelry designer.
Courses and Duration
- Diploma in Diamond Processing
- Diploma in Diamond Trade Management
- Diploma in Gemology
- Certificate course in an International system of Diamond Grading
- Certificate course in Planning & Marketing
- Certificate course in Coloured Gemstone Cutting & Polishing
- Certificate course in Grading, Cutting, Polishing, Bruiting
- Courses in Jewellery Design & Machine Cast Jewellery
- Certificate course in Hard Shape Grooving
- Bachelors of Fine Arts in Jewellery design
- sc Gemology
- Masters degree in Fine Arts in Jewellery design
- Post Graduate Diploma in Diamond Technology
- Jewelry Designing
- Gem Grinding
- Gem Engraving
- Gem Polishing
- Gem Assortment
- Jewelry Setter
- Gem Research
- 10+2 education completed in any stream, from a recognized educational Board.
- A minimum aggregate score of 50% (45% for SC/ST/OBC candidates) at the 10+2 level.
Additional Skills required:
- Have a sense of design and appreciation of quality
- Excellent powers of observation
- Good hand-eye coordination
- Artistic and creative skills
- Color awareness
- Good Communication Skills
Most institutes and colleges offering the course admit students based on their accomplishment in a relevant entrance examination, conducted mostly at the institutional level, followed by a round of personal interview.
In the personal interview round, candidate’s general aptitude for the course is examined and a merit list is then issued by each institute, declaring the names of all the selected students. Admission procedure generally varies across institutes.
A few institutes also provide direct admission to candidates on the basis of their score at the 10+2 level and some other criteria as well.
If you are interested to do a course from any other Institution, check that they are accredited by the American Gemological Society (AGS).
- National Institute of Fashion Technology, Delhi
- Indian Institute of Gemmology, New Delhi
- Arch Gemology & Jewellery Institute, Jaipur
- Gemstones Artisans Training School, Jaipur
- Xavier’s College, Mumbai
- Indian Institute of Gemology, New Delhi
- Sidhar Institute of Gemology, Andhra Pradesh
- SRDC Diamond Institute, Mumbai
Career and Job Prospects
The growing demand for precious stone jewelry increases the employment opportunities for geologists.
There are lots of job opportunities for gemologists mainly in the private sector.
They can go for either the gem exporting and gem mining industry.
A gemologist can start their career by working with jewelry houses or work as a freelancer.
If you can satisfy the need for market & continue to create new things, then you can work as a self-employed entrepreneur.
Those people involved in this field, they can work as wholesalers and retailers of gems and jewelry shop.
Many foreign companies and brands are tieing up with the Indian industry for manufacturing gold and diamond studded jewelry. It has also increased the job opportunities.
You can also work as an instructor or lecturer in the colleges/universities.
- Gem grinders
- Gem polishers
- Gem assorted
- Jewelry setters
- Diamond Grader
- Graphics Operator
- Jewelry Designer
- Gem Testing Laboratories
- Jewelry Business Management
- Retail Jewelry Business
- Jewelry Manufacturing or Product Development Departments
- Art Auction Houses
- Under Popular Jewelry Designers
- Gem Exporting Companies
- Independent Gemological Industries
- DIANI Jewels
- GS Gem scan Laboratories Pvt Ltd
- Solitaire Gemological Laboratories
- Diamonte Jewels
- Gemological Science International
Gemmology is a profession with great scope. You can earn extremely well once your ideas and designs are appreciated. The starting salary of Gemologist is Rs. 2 Lakh to Rs. 3 Lakh per year. The salary may rise depending upon your experience and job nature. A highly qualified Gemologist can easily fetch an attractive package between Rs. 4 Lakh to Rs. 5 Lakh per annum.