Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is a national level exam conducted over across 200 centers in India and in some of the countries abroad for admission into post-graduate programmes of Technology, Science, Engineering, Architecture and Doctor of Philosophy. GATE is organized jointly by the Ministry of Human Resources Development (MHRD), Department of Higher Education, the National Coordination Board and the Government of India (GOI). The registration process for GATE 2019 will start on September 01, 2018.
GATE score is also used by various Public Sector Undertakings (PSUs) of India for offering jobs with impressive remuneration. It is also used by foreign universities like Nanyang Technological University, Singapore. Some universities may give admission based only on the GATE score but some may conduct a test or interview as a follow-up round. Based on the performance of this second round, candidates will be given admission for Masters or Doctoral programmes. Those universities/colleges/institutes give 70% weight to the GATE score and 30% weight to test/interview. They may also give importance to a candidate’s academic record.
GATE 2019 Scholarships:
Almost 9 lakh candidates register for GATE examination every year. GATE score is also used for providing scholarships to candidates who want to take admission into Mater’s programmes in Engineering, Technology, and Architecture and Doctoral programmes in Science. GATE qualified students can avail up to Rs. 12,400 per month for Master’s degree according to MHRD. It was increased from Rs. 8000 (or 120 USD) to Rs. 12,400 (or 180 USD) per month in the year 2014. The criteria for awarding scholarships can differ with the institute but the mandatory criteria are that the student has to be GATE qualified and have a valid GATE score.
Institutes Conducting GATE 2019:
Every year the GATE exam is conducted by one of the following institutes:
- Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi
- Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee
- Indian Institute of Technology, Madras
- Indian Institute of Technology, Mumbai
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
- Indian Institute of Technology, Guwahati
- Indian Institute of Science
The GATE 2019 will be organized by Indian Institute of Technology, Madras (IIT Madras). The IIT professors design the question paper. The coaching institutes guess the type of questions every year based on the Organizing Institute (OI).
DIFFICULTY LEVEL OF GATE
To master a complete engineering course in itself is a pretty challenging task. The GATE exam is known to test students in a smart way, so the questions are usually not lengthy but they are good. GATE is one of the toughest examinations; only 15% of the total candidates get selected every year. A very high percentile is needed to get into the best institutes of India like Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), National Institute of Technology (NIT) and some state-level universities whose standards are comparable to those of IITs and NITs.
Stay tuned to our website for more details about the eligibility, schedule, pattern, and syllabus of GATE exam.
List of companies recruiting through the GATE:
Several companies use the GATE score to give entry-level job positions for an engineer. Some of them are:
- Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC)
- Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Ltd (HCL)
- Indian Oil Corporation Ltd (IOCL)
- Coal India Ltd
- Airport Authority of India
- National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC)
- National Highways Authority of India
- Power Grid Corporation of India Ltd
- Bharat Electronics
Disciplines Included in GATE 2019:
Students can choose any one of the 24 disciplines for which GATE is conducted. This year an additional discipline has been added called Statistics.
|Agricultural Engineering||AG||Aerospace Engineering||AE|
|Architecture and Planning||AR||Chemical Engineering||CH|
|Civil Engineering||CE||Mechanical Engineering||ME|
|Mining Engineering||MN||Petroleum Engineering||PE|
|Chemistry||CY||Electronics and Communication Engineering||EC|
|Geology and Geophysics||GG||Ecology and Evolution||EY|
|Computer Science and Information Technology||CS||Metallurgical Engineering||MT|
|Production and Industrial Engineering||PI||Textile Engineering and Fiber Science||TF|
|Instrumentation Engineering||IN||Engineering Mathematics (Mandatory)||A|
|Thermodynamics||E||Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences||H|
|Material Science||C||Solid Mechanics||D|
|Polymer Science and Engineering||F||Statistics||ST|
The Subjects included in Life Sciences (XL) are Chemistry, Zoology, Botany, Microbiology, Food Technology, and Biochemistry. The Subjects included in Engineering Sciences are Engineering Mathematics, Fluid Mechanics, Material Science, Thermodynamics, Solid Mechanics, Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences, Polymer Science, and Engineering.
GATE 2019 Registration:
Candidates who are eligible for GATE 2019 can start the registration process. The complete procedure will be online and will be carried out through the GATE Online Application Processing System (GOAPS), starting on September 01, 2019. The last date for registration is September 21, 2018. This year, there is a provision for late registration. The late registration will cost an extra fee of Rs. 500. The extended date for registration is October 01, 2018. This article brings out the steps candidates must go through to register for GATE 2019 online:
- The candidates will have to create an account first on the official website of IIT Madras.
- Keep all your documents ready before starting the registration process and make sure you make no mistake while entering the details.
- Enter your Full Name, Email-ID, mobile number. Verify your email and phone number.
- Create a password and note it down somewhere. It will be important when you want to check your application status, check your results or download your scorecard.
- An enrollment number will be generated after the registration.
- Now login and start filling the application form. Enter your educational qualification such as your aggregate marks or CGPA, Name of Institution and year of passing.
- Upload your personal details like Nationality, Date of Birth, Father’s Name, Mother’s Name and address for correspondence.
- Upload scanned images of your photograph and signature of required format and size.
- Upload other documents like Aadhar card/PAN card/Passport/Voter ID/Driving License or any other government-issued Identity Card.
- Upload your provisional certificate if you are a final year student. The provisional certificate should be attested by the Head of Department.
- There is no need to upload an image of the thumb impression.
- Candidates can select three examination centers, priority-wise.
- Take a print-out of GATE application form for future reference.
GATE 2019 Application Fee:
The registration will be completed after the payment application fee. Payment can be made online by debit card, credit card or internet banking.
The application fee for all the categories is shown in the table below:
|SC/ST/Female/PWD candidates||Rs. 750|
|Male candidates: General and OBC||Rs. 1500|
|Late fee||Rs. 500 (20 USD)|
|Dubai and Singapore Students||100 USD|
|Students from Addis, Ababa, Colombo, Dhaka and Kathmandu||50 USD|
GATE 2019 Admit Card:
The admit card for GATE 2019 will be released on January 04, 2019. Candidates can download the admit card by logging in through GOAPS and take out the print-out. This admits card has to be reproduced at the examination center, failing which the candidate will not be allowed to sit for the exam. Candidates will also have to bring a government-issued photo ID card along with the admit card. The admit card will contain details of examination venue and timings along with candidate’s personal details.
GATE 2019 APPLICATION FORM CORRECTION DETAILS
Candidates can change the details given by them in the second or third week of November 2018. They can log in to their GOAPS account and edit the required information. They will have to pay some fee in order to change their details. It is to be noted that candidates cannot change every detail.
GATE 2019 Eligibility Criteria:
GATE aspirants must check out the eligibility details before applying for this prestigious examination. If any of the criteria is not met, the candidate will not be given admission under any circumstances. This article brings out the criteria details students need to fulfill in order to appear for the examination.
These are the educational qualifications the aspirant must have in order to appear for GATE:
|B. Tech (post 10+2)||Four-year Bachelor’s Degree in Technology or three-year bachelor’s degree after Diploma||Final year or graduate student can apply|
|B.E. (post 10+2)||Four-year Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or three-year bachelor’s degree after Diploma||Final year or graduate student can apply|
|B. Pharm (post 10+2)||Four-year Bachelor’s degree or three-year bachelor’s degree after Diploma||Final year or graduate student can apply|
|B. Arch||Five-year Bachelor’s degree in Architecture||Final year or graduate student can apply|
|B.S./ B.Sc. (post 10+2)||Four-year Bachelor’s degree in Science or three-year bachelor’s degree post Diploma||Final year or graduate student can apply|
|M.Sc./ MA||Master’s Degree in any stream of Science/Mathematics/Architecture||Final year or already completed|
|MCA||Master’s degree in a Computer Application||Final year or already completed|
|Integrated ME (Post B.Sc.)||Four-year Master’s Degree in Engineering after B.Sc.||Second, third, fourth year or already completed|
|Integrated M.Tech (Post B.Sc.)||Four-year Master’s Degree in Technology after B.Sc.||Second, third, fourth year or already completed|
|Integrated ME/M.Tech or Dual Degree (Post Diploma or 10+2)||Five-year Integrated or Dual Degree programme in Engineering or Technology||Fourth, a Fifth year or already completed|
|Integrated M.Sc./BS/MS||Five-year Integrated BS and MS programme||Final year or already completed|
|Examinations by Professional Societies||Equivalent examinations recognized by MHRD (Example, AMIE by Institute of Engineers)||Already completed|
Other Eligibility Criteria
Apart from educational qualifications, GATE aspirants must check if they fulfill the other eligibility requirements or not.
|Age Limit||There is no minimum or maximum age limit specified needed to appear for GATE.|
|Number of Attempts||There is no limit on the number of times a candidate can appear for GATE.|
|Nationality||The candidate can be Indian or foreign national.|
|Minimum Passing Marks||There are no minimum passing marks specified for the qualifying degree.|
GATE 2019 Exam Pattern:
GATE must check out the exam format so that they which section carry how much weight and prepare accordingly. They must solve mock test papers in order to get the clear idea of the type of questions asked in each section and how much time should be taken to solve each one of them.
Take note of the following points regarding the pattern of GATE 2019:
- The duration of examination is a total of three hours.
- The mode of examination is online or Computer-Based Test (CBT).
- There will total 65 questions in the GATE
- There are two kinds of questions asked in the examination; Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ) and Numerical Answer Type (NAT) Questions.
- Out of 65 questions, 10 questions are from General Aptitude and 55 Questions are from Engineering Mathematics and the relevant discipline.
- The questions will be of 1 or 2 marks.
- There are no negative marking for Numerical Answer Type (NAT) questions.
- For MCQ questions, there is a negative marking of 1/3 for 1 mark questions and 2/3 for 2 mark questions.
- The total question paper will be of 100 marks. The General Aptitude section carries 15 marks; Engineering Mathematics carries 15 marks and the Technical Section Carries 70 marks.
- The general category qualifying marks are usually between 25 to 50. The OBC category qualifying marks are 90% of general category qualifying marks. The SC/ST category qualifying marks are 2/3 of general category qualifying marks.
- For NAT questions, candidates have to enter the real number using the mouse and virtual keypad on the screen.
- No physical calculator, mobile phones, log tables or any electronic gadget will be allowed in the examination venue. A virtual calculator will be available on the screen.
- A scribble pad will be provided to the candidates for doing the rough work. It will be taken away after the examination. Candidates will have to write their names and system number on the scribble pad.
- Candidates will be allowed to move between the two sections; the top right of the display will show how many questions have been answered (Green color), Marked of Review (Purple Color) and not answered (Red Color).
- Candidates who have doubt in a particular question can mark for review and come back later on that question to utilize their time effectively.
- The GATE score card will be valid for three years.
GATE 2019 Exam Dates:
Candidates must check out the schedule for GATE 2019 and start their preparation in time. Check out the table below so that you do not miss anything:
|1||GATE 2019 Notification Release||July 06, 2018|
|2||GATE Registration through GOAPS||September 01, 2018|
|3||Last Date of Registration||September 21, 2018|
|4||Extended Date for Registration||October 01, 2018|
|5||Issuing of Admit Card||January 04, 2018|
|6||GATE 2019 online examination||February 02, 03, 09 and 10, 2019|
|7||The release of Answer Key||3rd week of February 2019|
|8||Result Declaration||March 16, 2019|
|9||Score Card Release||March 20 to May 21, 2019|
GATE 2019 Syllabus:
Following are the sections included in the GATE exam:
General Aptitude (Common to all Papers):
- VERBAL ABILITY: English Grammar, word groups, analogy, reasoning, and deduction, sentence completion
- NUMERICAL ABILITY: Data interpretation, Numerical estimation, reasoning and computation
Engineering Mathematics (Compulsory):
- Linear Algebra, Probability and Statistics, Numerical Analysis, Complex Analysis, Linear Differential Equations, Partial Differential Equations, Real Analysis, Algebra, Functional Analysis, and Topology.
Subject Selected by the Candidate:
- This section includes questions from the particular discipline chosen by the candidate. These subjects are covered in the graduation itself. Visit the official website of IIT Madras to get the detailed topic-wise syllabus of all the 24 disciplines.
Visit the links below for following core branches of engineering:
GATE 2019 Preparation Tips:
- First of all collect all the information about GATE 2019 like eligibility to appear for the examination, exam format, syllabus and exam dates.
- Start by making a proper timetable. Try to allow time to every subject according to its weight.
- Go over the entire syllabus and note down all the topics. Collect the books and all reference material needed for preparation.
- After covering the entire syllabus once, make a new timetable and allow equal time for revision of all the subjects. Revision should be done in a smart way and keep separate notes of important concepts.
- After some practice revision will get easier and faster. Now collect all the previous year question papers and start solving them daily.
- Solve at least one previous year question papers of GATE every day. Solve these papers like you would solve the actual exam; within the given time frame. Through this practice, candidates will get an idea of how much time should be given to a particular type of question.
- Keep the time limit in mind and don’t get stuck on a particular question. Skip the questions you find more time-consuming and return to those questions once you are done with the rest of the paper. This is the correct method of attempting the question paper to complete it on time and score good marks.
- Finally, solve some fresh mock test papers and do the last revision.
- Do not study anything one day before the exam. Relax your mind and stay motivated.