About Writer Courses
Writing is a craft and like other crafts, the success of the craftsman depends on his individual style and acceptance by the readers. While there is no entry barrier to be a writer but acumimating one’s skills with courses in Fine Arts especially MFA in creative writing and MA in journalism, literature or related fields is advisable.
Writing courses expose students to a variety of types of writing and provide them with opportunities to create their own works. Creative writing majors often take courses focusing individually on fiction, poetry, playwriting, screenwriting, and nonfiction.
A professional writer is those writers who have specialization in a particular field for eg. Politics, sports, science, technology, business, social matters, poetry, fiction, screenplay etc. These professional writers have got vast knowledge and experience in their respective field, for the writing is both a hobby and a profession.
Courses and Duration
Various Creative Writing Courses offered in India
- Bachelor of Fine Arts in Creative Writing
- Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing
- Certificate Course in Journalism and Creative Writing
- Certificate Course in Comprehensive Creative Writing
- Certificate Course in Writing for Children
- Certificate Course in Novel and Short Story Writing
- Certificate Course in Freelance Journalism
- Certificate Course in Proofreading and Copy Editing
- Certificate Course in Copywriting
- Certificate Course in Article Writing
- Certificate Course in Non-fiction Writing
- Certificate Course in Fiction Writing
- Certificate Course in Online Writing
- Certificate Course in Writing for Competitions
- Diploma in Creative Writing in English
- Diploma in Creative Writing in Hindi
- Post Graduate Diploma in Creative Writing in Hindi
- Post Graduate Diploma in Mass Media and Creative Writing
The duration of the certificate courses can be 2 weeks to 3 months, while the diploma course can last from 1 year to 2 years. For bachelor’s degree it is 3 years and for master’s degree 2 years. These courses will comprise of various aspects related to creative writing.
The various strands of these writer courses comprise of :
- Introduction to writing or writing basics
- History and creative inspiration
- Writing skills enhancement for eg. drawing reader attention
- Improving grammatical skills
- Written assignment
- Presentation of work
- Approaching the publishers.
Some colleges have open admission policy for this course. The person who is already doing a job somewhere and wants to join the writing profession can go for an online writing course. There are a number of schools/colleges who offer online writing course. There are even distance learning programmes in writing for the job doing people.
- The field of creative writing does not require formal education. Those with a flair for writing with imagination, observation, and creativity can excel as a creative writer.
- The minimum educational qualification for applying to creative writing course is Higher Secondary or 10+2 with humanities or arts as the main discipline.
- An educational background in English literature or Journalism & communication will be an added advantage for a fruitful career in creative writing.
- An aspiring creative writer must have a tremendous passion for reading and writing.
- Should be a good observer and communicator and should have qualities like good vocabulary and comprehension skills.
Many Colleges and Universities conduct an entrance examination for admitting the individual to a particular course in the writing field. The entrance test includes questions from sections like Business & General Awareness, Reasoning & Analytical Ability, General English & Quantitative Ability. Final selection of the candidates is based on marks scored in the entrance exam and performance in personal interview/ group discussion.
Jobs and Career Opportunities
The creative writing field is very vast and so are the job opportunities which are in the following segments of the field of a creative writer.
- Greeting Card Author
- Comic Book Writer
- Creativity Coach
- Writing Coach
- Songwriter (Lyricist)
- Freelance Short Fiction Writer
- Creative Writing Instructor (give your own workshops)
- Biographer (write people’s bios and family histories)
- Travel Writer (if you travel)
- Article Writer (write, submit, repeat)
- Video Game Writer (includes storytelling/fiction)
- Personal Poet (write personalized poems for weddings, funerals, childbirth, etc.)
- Blogger Creative Writing Consultant
One can work as a content writer in any of the KPO firms. They can also secure a career as a freelance writer by which the candidates can earn a good income.
Some writers may find avenues to diversify their writing and write in different forms, such as published novelists also writing reviews and literary criticism.
In addition, many writers manage their writing work alongside full or part-time jobs, which may be related to their writing (such as lecturing on creative writing courses) or entirely unrelated.