Sports is an activity which involves physical exertion and skill in which a person competes with another person for entertainment. Sports contribute to physical health and fitness, mental fitness and well-being and social interaction. The courses in sports cover sport, fitness, and coaching and help students to understand the science behind sports and leadership behind these areas.
Different Types of Sports Courses:
If a student wants to make his career in the sports field after 12th examination, then he/she can choose from the below courses:
- List of Undergraduate Courses: Bachelor of Physical Education, Bachelor of Science in Physical Education and Sports Science, BBA in Sports Management, Bachelor of Sports Management, and Bachelor of Arts in Sports Management.
- List of Postgraduate Courses: Master of Physical Education, M.Sc. in Sports Science, M.Sc. in Physical Education and Sports Science, MBA in Sports Management, Master of Sports Management, and Master of Arts in Sports Management.
- List of Postgraduate Diploma Courses: PG Diploma in Sports Medicine, Sports Science and Nutrition, Sports Coaching, Sports Journalism, Sports Business, and Sports Management.
- Doctoral Degree Courses: in Physical Education, M.Phil. in Physical Education and Ph.D. Sports Management.
Duration of Various Courses:
|Bachelor of Physical Education (B.P.Ed.)||3 years|
|Bachelor of Science in Physical Education||3 years|
|BBA in Sports Management||3 years|
|Bachelor of Sports Management||3 years|
|Bachelor of Arts in Sports Management||3 years|
|Master of Physical Education (M.P.Ed.)||2 years|
|Master of Science in Physical Education||2 years|
|MBA in Sports Management||2 years|
|Master of Sports Management||2 years|
|Master of Arts in Sports Management||2 years|
|PhD. in Physical Education and Sports Management||3 years|
Admission Process & Eligibility Criteria for different Courses:
List of top colleges who grants sports courses are given below:
- Indira Gandhi Institute of Physical Education and Sports Education: The University offers an undergraduate course in Bachelor of Science in Physical Education & Health. The duration of the course is 3 years. Interested candidates can check the website http://igipess1.du.ac.in:8080/web/home_page for more details.
- Lakshmi Bai National Institute of Physical Education, Thiruvananthapuram: The institute offers two years bachelor’s course in Physical Education. A candidate who wants to pursue an undergraduate course in sports can apply on the website https://www.lncpe.gov.in.
- NSNIS (Netaji Subhas National Institute of Sports): The institute offers a refresher course in sports coaching course. The duration of the course is one year. Interested candidates can check the website http://nsnis.org/academic-courses for more details.
- Amity University: The University offers Bachelor degree in Physical Education and the duration of the course is three years. Candidates can check the detailed admission process on the website http://www.amity.edu/index.
- Indian Institute of Social Welfare and Business Management: The University offers a one-year postgraduation diploma degree in Sports Management. The duration of the course is one year. Interested candidates can check the website https://www.lncpe.gov.in.
Note: – A candidate who wants to pursue a management course in sports shall have to appear for management examination of the university. There are few colleges which take the entrance examination to shortlist eligible candidates. Apart from this, a candidate can appear for SMAT (Sports Management Admission Test). Also, a candidate who has a scorecard of CMAT, GMAT, NMAT, etc. can apply for the admission in the University he/she is eligible for.
Jobs & Career Opportunities:
Sports courses have opened many career opportunities for youth in India. A person who has done sports course can participate in various games at the international level. A sportsperson can be employed in government and private sectors. Below is the list of few job profiles available for a candidate who has done sports course:
- Instructor or Coach
- Leisure Club Manager
- Administrative and Sports Personnel
- Sports Person
- Sports Nutritionist
- Sports Journalist
- Sports Photographer
- Sports Event Manager
- Physical Education Teacher
- Personal Trainer
- Sports Psychologist
- Team Doctor