About Shipping & Maritime:
Maritime and shipping is all about factors related to the ocean, sea, ships, navigation of ships from one point to another point. It involves the shipment of goods and people by cargo by sea route or any other waterways. Shipping and maritime are one of the most important factors in creating international relations in trade & commerce.
Different Shipping & Maritime Courses and Their Duration:
A candidate who wants to make his/her career in the field related to shipping and maritime can go for undergraduate, postgraduate, and diploma courses according to his eligibility criteria. The courses available in shipping and maritime are explained below in brief:
- Diploma Courses: A Diploma Course can be done in the field of shipping and maritime. The duration of the course is one year. Apart from it, a candidate can do the postgraduate diploma course in maritime and shipping field and the duration of the course is three years. Following are the list of different streams of maritime and shipping diploma courses:
- Diploma in Marine Engineering
- Diploma in Logistics and Shipping
- Diploma in Nautical Architecture and Offshore Engineering
- Diploma in Nautical Science
- Postgraduate Diploma in Marine Engineering
- Undergraduate Courses: An undergraduate course in shipping and maritime is of three years or four years in duration. Below is the list of undergraduate courses available in maritime and shipping:
- Bachelor of Science in Ship Building and Repair
- Bachelor of Science in Maritime Science
- Bachelor of Technology or Bachelor of Engineering in Marine Engineering
- Postgraduate Courses: A candidate can do post graduation in this field and the duration of the field is two years. Below is the list of courses available in maritime and shipping:
- Master of Science in Shipping Trade and Finance
- Master of Science in International Shipping and Logistics
- Master of Technology or Master of Engineering in Marine Engineering
- MBA in Port and Shipping Management
- MBA in International Transportation and Logistics Management
- MBA in Shipping and Logistics
- MBA in Port and Shipping Management
Eligibility Criteria for Different Courses:
- Diploma Course: A candidate who has done 10th or 12th can opt for a diploma course. For the postgraduation diploma, a candidate must have done graduation from a recognized university.
- Undergraduate Courses: A candidate who has passed 10+2 examination with Science as a stream with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics as subjects from a recognized board can apply for the undergraduate course.
- Postgraduate Courses: A candidate who has done Bachelor of Science or bachelor of technology in the relevant field from a recognized university.
Admission Process for Different Courses:
- Diploma Course: Admission in the diploma course of shipping and maritime done on the basis of marks scored in the 12th The admission in the postgraduate diploma course is done on the basis of marks obtained in the graduation or in the entrance examination.
- Undergraduate Course: The admission in Bachelor of Science course in shipping and maritime is done on the basis of entrance examinations conducted by the universities. Also, there are some institutes which shortlist candidates on the basis of marks scored in the senior secondary examination. Admission in B.Tech or B.E in Marine Engineering is done on the basis of marks scores in JEE Mains exam. There are few engineering colleges which take their separate engineering entrance examination.
- Postgraduate Course: After graduation, a candidate can apply for post-graduation. Various exam authorities of different colleges conduct entrance examinations for admission in the postgraduate course. For admission in M.Tech or M.E, a candidate must appear in the GATE examination.
Jobs & Career Opportunities:
Individuals working in this field can get a very high salary job with many other benefits. There are many job opportunities for a candidate in the government sector like Shipping Corporation of India, and the private sector as well. Below is the list of few job profiles a candidate can choose to make her/his career:
- Associate Director
- Chief Engineer
- Deck Officer
- Deck Cadet
- Documentation Executive
- General Crew
- Manager Port-Logistics
- Marine Cook
- Marine Engineer
- Port Captain