Process Engineering deals with the design, operation, optimization, control and intensification of chemical, biological, and processes. The branch includes automotive, agriculture, biotechnical, chemical, food, pharmaceutical, nuclear, mining and many more industries.
Process Engineering gives knowledge about the transformation of raw materials into useful and valuable products. It allows the study of thermodynamics, modeling and analysis, equipment design, plant designs, and many more things.
Different types of Courses in Process Engineering:
There are two types of courses available in Process Engineering which are explained below:
- Undergraduate Courses: The duration of the undergraduate course is four years. A candidate can obtain Bachelor of Technology or Bachelor of Engineering in Process Engineering.
- Postgraduate Courses: The duration of the postgraduate course is two years. A candidate can obtain a Master of Technology or Master of Engineering degree in Process Engineering.
Eligibility Criteria for Admission in Different Courses:
For Undergraduate Course:
- A candidate should have passed the 12th examination with minimum % aggregate as per the college from a recognized board. Also, he/she should have studied 11th and 12th standard with physics, chemistry, and mathematics as the compulsory subject.
- A candidate must clear the entrance examination held by the exam authorities of the university. For IITs, NITs, etc. candidate must clear JEE Mains and Advanced Examination.
For Postgraduate Course:
- A candidate must be a graduate in engineering from a recognized university.
- A candidate must clear GATE and have a valid scorecard. There are some institutes that conduct their separate admission tests. An aspirant must clear the examination to be eligible for the course.
Entrance Examinations for Admission in Process Engineering:
For undergraduate courses:
- JEE Mains: It is a national level examination which allows admissions in top colleges like IITs, NITs, IIITs, etc. Joint Entrance Examination (JEE) is held every year at the national level by CBSE to allow admissions in various engineering colleges across the country.
- BITSAT: Birla Institute of Science and Technology (BITSAT) is an entrance examination held by the institute which allows admission in Bachelor of Engineering course in various disciplines.
- COMEDK: Consortium of Medical, Engineering, and Dental Colleges of Karnataka is an examination which allows admissions in various fields in the colleges present in Karnataka. For more details, candidates can check the website comedk.org.
- VITEEE: Vellore Institute of Technology conducts an entrance examination to allow admission in the various engineering discipline. For more details, interested candidates can check the website via.ac.in.
Similarly, there are many private colleges which conduct examinations to grant admission in the undergraduate course in Chemical Engineering. Below is the list of few examinations:
- BVP CET
- VTUEEE, and many more.
- GATE: Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering is an examination conducted by IITs every year through which a candidate can get admission in IITs, NITs, and other universities for post-graduation course in engineering.
Jobs & Career Opportunities:
A student with process engineering degree can get a job in fields like chemical manufacturing, nuclear plants, petrochemical companies, etc. A candidate can become any of the following:
- Process Engineer
- Senior Process Engineer
- Chemical Engineer
- Food Hygiene Engineer
- Design Authority
- Continuous Improvement Engineer