Doctorate of Medicine in Neurology is a three year super – specialty post-doctorate course in the field of medicine. In the study of this course, students undergo a rigorous clinical training, which includes seminars, journal clubs, bedside clinics and takes part in interdepartmental meetings. DM Neurology Course deals with the study of disorders of the nervous system and finding remedies.
This course has been inspected and approved by the Medical Council of India. The subjects under study are Neuroanatomy, Neurophysiology, Paediatric Neurology, Neuro Radiology, Neuro-ophthalmology, Neuro Biochemistry, Neuropathology, Neuropsychiatry, Neuropsychology, Neuro Pharmacology, and others. The candidate will develop essential skills for diagnosing and providing therapeutic interventions to treat diseases. The student learns about treating diseases concerned with the central nervous system of the human body.
The course fees range between INR 50,000 – 2 lacs for the total duration. The probable salaries offered to successful postgraduates in this field are between 10-15 lacs per annum.
- Pediatric Neurology
- Neuro Biochemistry
- Neuro Pharmacology
It is a post-doctorate course which takes three years to complete.
Aspiring Neurologists who wish to study DM in Neurology can opt for this course after completing the following trajectory:
- The students must have completed their 10+2 level of schooling with subjects like biology, chemistry, and physics
- The student must have successfully completed their MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery) from a reputed college or institution. MBBS is a 5½ years course and includes a one-year internship period as well.
- After MBBS the student should have completed MD or MS in any field from a recognized university.
- A caring personality and humble attitude are the two qualities that are of paramount importance.
- Communication skills are required as the students have to convey their research findings and discuss the treatment with other medical staff.
- Patience and intense interest to hear the patient’s side of the story are really important.
- Problem-solver by nature. Must have observing, listening and inquisitive appetite.
- Should have read, enquiring and researching habits to find solutions to difficult issues.
Admission to this course is given on basis of entrance exam conducted by various institutes. It is followed by GD-PI which marks the final selection of a candidate.
- All India D.M / M.Ch. Entrance Examination
- All India Institute of Medical Science Entrance Exam (AIIMS)
- Banaras Hindu University Entrance Exam
- Delhi University Super Specialty Entrance Test – DUMET
- Institute of Human Behaviour and Allied Sciences (IHBAS)
- National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro Sciences (NIMHANS) Entrance Exam
- University of Delhi Entrance Exam
Pass outs of DM Neurology will have to work in one of the most complex and fascinating areas of medicine that will involve tetè a tetè with the brain and nervous system. Postgraduates can get work in general neurology or they may choose to work under surgery cases. Mostly they will be treating patients by diagnosing and determining treatment by examining the patient’s brain and neck nerves, muscle strength, movement, balance, and reflexes.
Aspirants who hold DM in Neurology degree has a promising career ahead. They can get placed in various Hospitals, National Institutes or even Army. Postgraduates can choose a career in the teaching field as well as research.