Industrial engineering is the limb of engineering that concerns the development, improvement, execution, and evaluation of integrated systems of people, knowledge, equipment, energy, material, and process. Industrial engineering draws upon the principles and methods of engineering analysis and synthesis.
Industrial engineers use their knowledge and skills to improve systematic processes through the use of statistical analysis, interpersonal communication, design, planning, quality control, operations management, computer simulation, and problem-solving. Industrial engineers develop job evaluation programs, amongst other duties. Industrial engineers find ways to eliminate wastefulness in production processes.
Industrial engineers apply their skills to many different situations, from manufacturing to healthcare systems to business administration. For example, they design systems for
- moving heavy parts within manufacturing plants
- delivering goods from a company to customers, including finding the most profitable places to locate manufacturing or processing plants
- evaluating job performance
- paying workers.
Courses and Duration
Diploma Courses :
- Advanced diploma in industrial safety (ADIS) – 3 years
- Advanced diploma in mechanical & industrial automation – 3 years
- Diploma in industrial & production engineering – 3 years
- Diploma in industrial electronics – 3 years
- Diploma in industrial safety engineering – 3 years
- Diploma in railway engineering – 3 years
Postgraduate Diploma in Industrial Engineering – 2 years
Certificate Courses :
- Certificate course in Fundamentals of Industrial Engineering and Management.
Bachelor’s degree Courses
- B.tech in Industrial Biotechnology – 4 years
- B.E in Industrial Engineering – 4 years
- B.E in Production Engineering – 4 years
- B.E in Industrial Engineering & Management – 4 years
- B.tech in Safety and Fire Engineering – 4 years
Master’s Degree Courses :
- M.E in Industrial Engineering & Management – 2 years
- M.E in Industrial Safety Engineering – 2 years
- M.tech in Industrial Engineering – 2 years
- M.tech in Industrial Mathematics & scientific computing – 2 years
- M.tech in Industrial Pollution Control Engineering – 2 years
- M.tech in Reliability Engineering – 2 years.
In India, most of the colleges give admission on the basis of ranks secured in JEE Main and GATE score. Counseling follows after taking an entrance examination.
Colleges that offer Industrial engineering in India are listed below:
- Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay
- Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
- Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee
- Motilal Nehru National Institute of Technology, Allahabad
- Dr. B. R. Ambedkar National Institute of Technology, Jalandhar
- The basic eligibility for pursuing a diploma course is to qualify 10th.
- For admission in UG course, candidates have to pass 10+2 examination and qualify the JEE Main Exam.
- The eligibility criteria for admission in a master’s degree is holding a bachelor’s degree in (B.E/B.Tech) or any other equivalent streams of engineering and scorecard of GATE Exam.
A candidate needs to appear for an Entrance Examination like AIEEE, IIT JEE or state level examinations like KACEY, WBJEE to get admitted to Industrial Engineering courses.
Some Institutes also offers admission on the basis of CAT/GATE score. The Selection after qualifying the entrance exam is through Group Discussion and Personal Interview.
Jobs & Career Opportunities
Industrial engineering is also known as operation management, systems engineering, production engineering, manufacturing engineering or manufacturing systems engineering where industrial engineers work towards choosing machinery and equipment, industrial layout, an organization of assembly line, quality control, distribution and inventory control etc.
Industrial engineers can get a job in almost all types of industries, private consultancy firms, R&D establishments of big companies or any manufacturing industries in private or public sector for the smooth functioning of their industrial automation units. For operating and maintaining purpose, production planning and control and materials management purpose industrial engineers are required. Various job options of industrial engineering are management consultant, operation manager, plant supervisor, health and safety manager, projects manager, production or manufacturing engineer, quality control manager, business system analyst. Opportunities in armed forces and railways open more options in this field.