Genetics is all about the study of heredity and the variation of inherited characteristics. It is the study of genes, genetic variation, and heredity in living organisms. It is the study of how traits such as eye color, hair color, and risk for disease are passed from parents to their children. Genetics is the branch of biology which deals with the variation of organisms and heredity.
Genetics involves the study of microscopy, cell biology, cytogenetics, molecular genetics, genetic engineering, Mendelian genetics, and biometry.
Genetics involves following specializations:
- Classical Genetics
- Conservation Genetics
- Ecological Genetics
- Molecular Genetics
- Population Genetics
- Quantitative Genetics
About Different Types of Courses in Genetics and Their Duration:
Four different types of courses are available in genetics which is explained below:
- Undergraduate Course: The duration of the course is three years. An interested candidate can do Bachelor of Science in the following streams of Genetics-
- Bachelor of Science (Genetics)
- Bachelor of Science (Genetics, Microbiology & Chemistry)
- Bachelor of Science (Hons.) in Genetics
- Postgraduate Course: The duration of this course is two years. A candidate can do post graduation in the following streams of Genetics:
- Master of Science (Applied Genetics)
- Master of Science (Biomedical Genetics)
- Master of Science (Genetics)
- Master of Science (Hons.) in Genetics
- Master of Science (Microbial Genetics & Bioinformatics)
- Master of Science (Molecular Biology and Human Genetics)
- Master of Science (Stem Cell and Tissue Engineering)
- Diploma Course: The duration of postgraduation in diploma is 15 months. A candidate can do post graduation in diploma in Human Genetics and Pathological Techniques.
- Doctoral Course: The duration of Ph.D. courses is four years. A can-do doctoral course in the following streams of Genetics:
- D. (Genetics)
- D. (Human Genetics)
- Master of Philosophy (Genetics)
- Master of Philosophy + Ph.D. (Genomics)
Eligibility Criteria for Different Courses:
- Undergraduate Course: A candidate who is appearing in 12th standard examination or have appeared in the 12th examination can apply for the course. The candidate must have passed the examination with a minimum of 50% aggregate and with subjects Physics, Chemistry, and Biology.
- Postgraduate Course: A candidate must have done graduation in the relevant field from a recognized university. The candidate must have done graduation in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Botany, Applied Botany, Zoology, Environmental Science, Applied Zoology, Biotechnology, Microbiology, Genetics, and Applied Genetics.
- Doctoral Course: To be eligible for the admission in the doctoral course, a candidate must have a master’s degree in the relevant field from a recognized university.
- Diploma Course: For postgraduation diploma in Genetics, a candidate must have done graduation in the relevant field from a recognized university.
Admission Process in Different Courses:
- Undergraduate Course: Admission to the course is usually done on the basis of marks scored in the 12th However, there are some institutes who give admission on the basis of marks scored in the entrance examination.
- Postgraduate Course: Admission to the course is usually done on the basis of marks scored in the graduation. Also, some institutes grant admission on the basis of marks scored in the entrance examination.
- Doctoral Course: For this course, entrance examinations are organized followed by personal interview round.
- Diploma Course: The admission to the course is done on the basis of marks scored in graduation.
List of Few Best Colleges for Courses in Genetics:
For Undergraduate Courses:
- W.H Special College, Kozhikode
- Anupama College of Management Studies and Science, Bangalore
- Bhavan’s Vivekananda College of Science, Humanities, and Commerce, Hyderabad
- Natubhai V. Patel College of Pure and Applied Science- NVPAS, Anand
For Postgraduate Courses:
- Bharathiar University, Coimbatore
- Ganga Kaveri Institute of Social Science and Management
- Maharshi Dayanand University, Rohtak
- University of Delhi, Delhi
For Doctoral Courses:
- University of Delhi, DU, Delhi
- Institute of Genetic Engineering, Kolkata
Jobs & Career Opportunities in Genetics:
The field involving genetics is increasing rapidly. A candidate who has done any course in genetics has a wide variety of careers. He/she can find employment in areas like agricultural firms, hospitals, animal husbandry, research institutes, food processing, horticulture, agriculture, DNA Forensics Department, etc. A Geneticist works in both medical and scientific fields. Below is the list of few job profiles:
- Assistant Professor
- Associate Professor
- Biotech Sales Engineer
- Clinical Geneticist/Researcher
- Drug Discovery Engineer
- Genetic Counsellor
- Genetics Laboratory Technician
- Genetics Laboratory Research Assistant