Gastroenterology is the branch of medicine which focuses on the digestive systems and its disorder. It includes the study of the function and diseases related to the esophagus, stomach, small intestine, colon and rectum, pancreas, gallbladder, etc.
A gastroenterologist is a physician who specializes in diseases of the digestive system. They specialize in the evaluation, diagnosis, management, and treatment of various problems like constipation, bleeding in the digestive tract, and many more.
About Different Types of Gastroenterology Courses and Their Duration:
A candidate who is interested in Gastroenterology can do the following courses:
- Postgraduate Diploma in Gastroenterology: The duration of the course is two years. It is a postgraduate level Gastroenterology Diploma Course and the program offers various clinical training and enables a student to be experienced in surgical management.
- Doctor of Medicine in Gastroenterology: The duration of the course is three years. The duration of the course is three years.
- Master of Surgery in Gastroenterology: The duration of the course is two years.
- Doctoral Course: A candidate can do Doctorate of Medicine in Gastroenterology. The duration of the course is three years.
- Certificate Courses: A candidate can do a certificate course in Gastro-Radiology. The duration of the certificate course is six months.
Eligibility Criteria for Different Courses:
- Postgraduate Diploma Courses: To be eligible for admission in this course, a candidate must have done MBBS from a Medical college which is recognized by the Medical Council of India. Also, he/she should have completed one year of internship.
- Doctor of Medicine in Gastroenterology: To be eligible for admission in this course, a candidate must have done MBBS from a Medical college which is recognized by the Medical Council of India with a minimum of 55% aggregate.
- Master of Surgery in Gastroenterology: To be eligible for admission in this course, a candidate must have done MBBS from a Medical college which is recognized by the Medical Council of India with a minimum of 50% aggregate.
- Doctoral Courses: A candidate must be a graduate and postgraduate from a recognized university in the relevant field.
- Certificate Courses: A candidate with any educational background can do the certificate course in Gastroenterology. However, he/she must be a 10th passed student from a recognized board.
Admission Process & Entrance Examinations for Different Courses:
The admission process of different institutes in the Gastroenterology course is different. However, a candidate must have done MBBS to be eligible for the admission in MD or MS courses. To be eligible for MBBS entry, a candidate must appear for NEET (National Eligibility Entrance Test). It is a national level examination conducted by the National Testing Agency once a year. Through this examination, various medical colleges give admission in MBBS and other medical programs.
List of Other Entrance Examinations for Admission in MD/MS Courses:
- JIPMER (Jawahar Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education) Exam- The examination is held by the Institute for admission in 200 seats available in JIPMER. Interested candidates can apply for the admission on the website http://jipmer.puducherry.gov.in.
- AIIMS (All India Institute of Medical Sciences), Delhi: AIIMS conducts its separate entrance examination for the admission in MBBS course. Eligible candidates can apply for the admission test on the website https://www.aiimsexams.org.
- SGPGIMS (Sanjay Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Medical Sciences), Lucknow: The University conducts its entrance examination for the admission in MD/MS/Ph.D./DM/DNB courses. For further details, candidates can check the website http://www.sgpgi.ac.in.
- NIMHANS (National Institute of Medical Health and Neuro Sciences), Bangalore: The University grants admission to various Ph.D. and Post Graduate Diploma Courses in various department. For more details, candidates can check the website http://www.nimhans.ac.in.
Jobs & Career Opportunities:
A person with the above-mentioned courses can work in public or private organizations. One can work in various fields like defense hospitals, clinics, government hospitals, nursing homes, NGOs, healthcare centers, medical labs, content writing (medical), medical colleges, etc. Below is the list of job profiles a person can choose to make his/her career:
- Clinical Trialist
- Gastrointestinal Oncologist
- GI Physiologist
- Nutrition Specialist
- Laboratory Scientist