A forest is a large area dominated by trees. Hundreds of more precise definitions of forest are used throughout the world, incorporating factors such as tree density, tree height, land use, legal standing, and ecological function.
Forestry is the science and craft of creating, managing, using, conserving, and repairing forests, woodlands, and associated resources to meet desired goals, needs, and values for human and environmental benefits. Forestry is practiced in plantations and natural stands.
Forestry students are trained to grow, manage, and protect healthy forest ecosystems. Our forestry classes are designed to give students hands-on field experiences using the latest technology when learning about land management principles and practices.
A practitioner of forestry is known as a forester. Industrial foresters are predominantly involved in planning the timber harvests and forest regeneration.
Courses and Duration
Various courses are available in the field of forestry. Candidates can pursue forestry courses at graduate, postgraduate, diploma as well as at Ph.D. level.
Some of the certificate & diploma course in Forestry are listed here: (6 – 12 months)
- Certificate Course in Wildlife Management
- Diploma in Zoo and Wild Animal Health Cure and Management
- Post Graduate Diploma in Forestry Management (PGDFM)
- Post-Master’s Diploma Non-Wood Forest Products
Bachelor’s Courses (3 years)
- B.Sc in Forestry
- B.Sc in Wildlife
- Bachelor of Science (B.Sc) in Tree Improvement and Genetic Resources
- Bachelor of Science (B.Sc – Hons) in Forestry
Master’s Courses: (2 years)
- M.Sc in Forestry
- M.Sc in Wildlife
- M.Sc – Wood Science & Tech.
- Master of Science (M.Sc) in Agroforestry
- Master of Science (M.Sc) in Forest Products
- Master of Science (M.Sc) in Tree Improvements
- Master in Wildlife Sciences
- Post Graduate Diploma in Forest Management
Postgraduate courses in forestry are offered in the following specializations:
- Forest Management
- Forest products
- Commercial Forestry
- Forest Economics
- Wood Science & Technology
- Wildlife Science
- Tree Genetics and Breeding
Interested candidates can also go for M.Phil/ Ph.D. degree in Forestry that opens more career opportunities as well a the hike in their salary.
Forest Research Institute (Deemed) University conducts FRI Entrance Exam in order to shortlist aspirants for master’s programmes offered by the institute. On the basis of a candidate’s score in FRI Entrance Exam, he/she is shortlisted for admission in courses such as – MSc Forestry, MSc Wood Science & Technology, MSc Environment Management, and MSc Cellulose & Paper Technology.
Step 1: Fill FRI Entrance Exam Application Form
Step 2: Get FRI Entrance Exam Admit Card
Step 3: Appear for FRI Admission Test
Step 4: Check the FRI Entrance Exam Result
Step 5: Take Part in Counselling
The Universities/colleges that offer forestry courses in India are as follows:
- Dr. BR Ambedkar University, Uttar Pradesh
- Pant University of Agriculture and Technology, Pantnagar
- Arid Forest Research Institute, Jodhpur
- Indian Institute of Forest Management, Bhopal
- Forest Research Institute University, Dehra Dun
- Yashwant Singh Parmar University of Horticulture and Forestry, Himachal Pradesh
- Wildlife Institute of India, Dehradun
- Tropical Forest Research Institute, Jabalpur
- Institute of Forest Genetics and Tree Breeding, Coimbatore
For Bachelor’s Degree
Eligibility Criteria – If candidates have passed their intermediate examination with PCB group then they are eligible for this course.
For Master’s Degree
Eligibility Criteria – To be eligible for the master’s course, one must have a bachelor’s degree in relevant discipline.
List of Entrance Examination conducted for admission in Forestry Courses :
- Bihar Combined Entrance Competitive Examination (BCECE)
- Jharkhand Combined Entrance Competitive Examination (JCECE)
- Karnataka Common Entrance Test (KCET)
- Kerala Engineering Agriculture Medical (KEAM)
- Madhya Pradesh Professional Admission Test (MP PAT)
- Orissa University of Agriculture and Technology (OUAT)
- Telangana State Engineering, Agriculture and Medical Common Entrance Test (TS EAMCET)
- Engineering, Agriculture and Medical Common Entrance Test (AP EAMCET).
Jobs & Career Opportunities
A lot of career opportunities is available in this field. The career opportunities are available in public as well as in the private sector.
The public sector jobs include work in zoological parks, wildlife ranges, corporate having their own plantations for timbering, wildlife research institutes, Indian Council of Forestry Research and Education (ICFRE) and its affiliated institutes, wildlife department, forest department, national parks & sanctuaries, forest nurseries.
The job profiles in forestry are as follows:
- Forest Range Officer
- Forestry Technicians
- Forest Officer
- Forestry Staff
- Forest Professionals
- Natural Resource Technician
- Operations Forester
- Senior Forestry Consultant
- Foresters Silviculturist
- Field Investigator
In the case of private sector jobs, some job posts available are- plantation and resort manager, forest product marketing, forest products purchasing manager, Research and Development sector etc.
Starting salary is generally around 15k-25k per month. In the case of Government job, it depends on the Pay Band (class and Grade of job post).