Ear Nose and Throat ( ENT )
A medical specialist who is concerned with the diagnosis and treatment of disorders of the head and neck, including particularly the ears, nose, and throat. ENT doctors are also called otolaryngologists.
Otorhinolaryngology is a surgical subspecialty within medicine that deals with conditions of the ear, nose, and throat and related structures of the head and neck. Doctors who specialize in this area are called otorhinolaryngologists, otolaryngologists, ENT doctors, ENT surgeons, or head and neck surgeons.
Their special skills include diagnosing and managing diseases of the sinuses, larynx (voice box), oral cavity, and upper pharynx (mouth and throat), as well as structures of the neck and face. Otolaryngologists diagnose, treat, and manage specialty-specific disorders as well as many primary care problems in both children and adults.
ENT does not only mean that it deals with Ear, Nose, and Throat, it also covers up the entire area of Cervical, Collar Bone and Neck Upward area.
Courses and Duration
Diploma Courses in ENT – 2 years.
- Diploma in E.N.T – D.L.O
- Diploma in Laryngology and Otology – D.L.O
- Diploma in Otolaryngology – D.L.O
- Diploma in Otorhinolaryngology – D.L.O
- Postgraduate Diploma in E.N.T
Degree Courses in E.N.T – 3 years
- Diplomate of the National Board of Medical Exam in ENT (D.N.B in ENT)
- Master of Chirurgiae (M.Ch in ENT)
- Master of Surgery in ENT ( M.S in ENT)
- Doctor of Philosophy in ENT (Ph.D. in ENT).
One can apply for admission to the postgraduate medical courses through the entrance test. Candidates have to score well in the entrance examination in order to take admission. Admission to the MBBS programme is generally provided on the basis of NEET (National Eligibility Cum Entrance Test). NEET is a national level examination, which is organized by the CBSE Board for providing admissions in MBBS & BDS courses across the country.
Several postgraduate level medical entrance test is conducted at the national and state level.
There are several institutions and universities are situated in India, which offers excellent education in the field of ENT. Some top colleges are mentioned here:
- Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research (JIPMER)
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS)
- Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER)
- Kasturba Medical College, Udipi
- Dayanand Medical College and Hospital, Ludhiana
- N. Institute of Medical Science and research, Haryana.
Eligibility for MS in ENT
- 10+2 education with Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and Mathematics as main subjects.
- MBBS from a recognized university.
- A compulsory 1-year rotating internship.
Eligibility for Postgraduate Diploma in ENT
- Candidates who have done their graduation, preferably MBBS including the practice years are eligible for this course. The admission is done on the basis of candidate’s performance in entrance exams for most of the institutes.
Some of such entrance exams conducted in the country are listed here.
- CMC Vellore
- COMEDK PGET
- JIPMER PG Exam
- NEET PG Exam
- AIIMS PG Exam
- AIPGMEE (All India Post Graduate Medical Entrance Examination)
Jobs & Career Opportunities
After earning qualification in ENT, one can work in a government and private hospital for gaining experience. They can work as a practitioner. As you are experienced and enough confidence, you can start your own clinic.
Jobs to such professionals are also offered in the teaching field. Candidates who are interested in teaching can apply in medical institutes or Universities for the post of professors.
ENT specialists are in high demand in India as well as in foreign countries.
Types of Job for ENT specialists:
- ENT assistant
- ENT Surgeon
- Private practitioners
The income prospects of the ENT specialists are quite good, especially with the development of facial and reconstructive surgery. If you specialize in this line or in treating the tumors in the face and neck area, you can expect to earn a considerable amount. Even for clinical otolaryngology, the income prospects are quite good at the entry level.