Dermatology is the science that is concerned with the diagnosis and treatment of diseases of the skin, hair and nails.] It is a specialty with both medical and surgical aspects. A dermatologist treats diseases, in the widest sense, and some cosmetic problems of the skin, scalp, hair, and nails
A dermatologist has had additional training and experience in the following:
- The diagnosis and treatment of skin cancers, melanomas, moles, and other tumors of the skin.
- The management of contact dermatitis and other inflammatory skin disorders.
- The recognition of the skin manifestations of systemic and infectious diseases.
- Interpretation of skin biopsies.
- Surgical techniques used in dermatology.
Dermatologists are of three types namely pediatric dermatology, dermatopathology, and procedural dermatology. You can be specialized as per your interest in any one of the aforesaid specializations.
Courses and Duration
In dermatology, courses at certificate level, diploma level, bachelor and master level are available.
Most solicited dermatology courses are listed below:
- Diploma in Dermatology – 2 years
- Bachelor of Science in Dermatology – 3 years
- Post Graduate Diploma in Dermatology, Venerology & Leprosy – 2 years
- Master of Science in Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology – 2 years
- Doctor of Medicine in Dermatology & Venereology – 3 years
- Doctor of Philosophy in Dermatology & Venereology – 3 years
Candidates can even select among the following specializations in dermatology:
- Cosmetic Dermatology
- Mohs surgery
- Pediatric Dermatology
In order to be admitted to the top Medical Colleges, the students have to take Entrance Examination conducted by respective Institutes separately.
After being graduated as an M.B.B.S, the candidates need to complete a mandatory training of 1.5 years in order to be admitted in master’s degree – M.D (Dermatology). After completion of the master’s degree is when a candidate can be a professional in Dermatology and pursue his Dermatologist career.
Top Dermatology colleges in India –
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS)
- Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education & Research (JIPMER)
- Maharashtra University of Health Sciences
- Padmashree Dr. D.Y. Patil University
- SRM University.
- The minimum qualification to become a dermatologist in India is 5.5 years of Bachelor’s degree in M.B.B.S followed by 2 years MD (Dermatology) course.
- Candidates should have obtained a minimum aggregate score of 55% marks in all the MBBS/ BDS professional examination recognized by the Medical Council of India.
- A relaxation of 5% in the aggregate score for SC/ST candidates.
- Candidate should have completed a 1- year compulsory rotating internship after passing the final professional examination which is MBBS before 30th April of the academic year.
Skills Required for Dermatologist:
- The student must be intelligent, hardworking and have the patience to treat and study their patients.
- They must be able to perform various procedures like cryotherapy, biopsies, etc.
- You must have a good academic record with a desire to succeed.
- They should have the ability to work long hours with the skills of self-motivation, punctual & calm.
Following is the list of some entrance test, in which candidates can appear to get admission:
- AIIMS PG
- NEET PG
- Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education & Research (JIPMER) Exam
- JIPMER PG
- Andhra Pradesh University of Health Sciences Entrance Exam
- Anna University Entrance Exam
- L.D.E. University Entrance Exam
- Baba Farid University of Health Sciences Entrance Exam
- Banaras Hindu University Entrance Exam
- Bangalore University Entrance Exam
- Bharath University Entrance Exam
- Bharati Vidyapeeth University Entrance Exam
- Calcutta University Entrance Exam
The admission test shall be carried out in English. A total of 200 questions shall be asked in the paper. Each question will have 3 – 4 choices and will hold 1 mark. The duration of this test is 3 hours. The mark & subject distribution of the exam is as follows:
- Anatomy – 05
- Anesthesiology – 05
- Biochemistry – 05
- Community Medicine – 20
- Dermatology – 05
- Forensic Medicine – 05
- General Medicine – 30
- General Surgery – 30
- Microbiology – 10
- Obstetrics & Gynaecology – 20
- Ophthalmology – 05
- Orthopedics – 10
- Oto-Rhino-Laryngology – 05
- Pediatrics – 10
- Pathology – 10
- Pharmacology – 10
- Physiology – 05
- Psychiatry – 05
- Radiology – 05
Negative marking is not there in this exam.
Jobs & Career Opportunities
MD Dermatology degree holders working as skin specialists are in great demand these days and these professionals are hired as Dermatologists in private hospitals, nursing homes or government dispensaries. Down the line after attaining considerable experience, dermatologists can set-up their own clinic for treating skin diseases. Since the demand for dermatologists is increasing gradually, career prospects are bright abroad also.
Jobs to dermatologists is also offered by the government as well as private hospitals. Those held in this field can also opt their career in teaching and can go for research work also. Job opportunities are also available abroad. The dermatologists can find job opportunities in many places like private hospitals, skincare centers, and government & private colleges and many others. Some of the job profiles of dermatologists:
- Dermatology Professor
- Skin Specialist
- Therapy Manager
- Clinical Application specialist