COURSES AFTER 12TH COMMERCE
About Commerce as a Subject:
Commerce is one of the popular streams among students in India. The study in this field includes financial management, banking, accounting, business analytics, etc. The main streams in Commerce are given below:
- Accountancy: It is a branch of mathematical science which is concerned with the financial information about business entities. It includes both theoretical and practical knowledge of numbers and financial data.
- Economics: It is the part of social science which deals with the production, consumption, and distribution of goods and services. It involves the study of a country’s economy and economic development.
- Business Studies: Business Studies deals with the in-depth knowledge of business, and things related to it. It deals with the organization and operation of modern business enterprises.
Courses Available in Commerce:
There are a number of courses available in Commerce stream after 12th. A candidate can do any of the below course:
- B.Com (Bachelor of Commerce): It is an undergraduate course which can be pursued after the 12th examination. The duration of this course is three years. The course enables a candidate to know about the business scenario including principles related to selling and buying to goods, etc.
- BBA (Bachelor of Business Administration): It is an undergraduate degree and the duration of this course is three years. The degree involves the study of commerce and business management at the undergraduate level.
- BMS (Bachelor of Management Studies): BMS is an undergraduate degree in Commerce field and the duration of this course is three years. The course enables a candidate to obtain skills and knowledge of leadership and its need.
- BAF (Bachelor of Commerce in Accounting and Finance): This undergraduate Commerce course allows students to possess knowledge of accounting and finance. The duration of this course is three years.
- BFM (Bachelor of Finance Markets): It is an undergraduate program and the duration of the course is three years. The course prepares a student for the operational environment in the field of financial markets.
- BBI (Bachelors in Banking and Insurance): BBI course involves the study of accounting and management, business laws, insurance principles, and many more. The duration of this course is three years.
- BCA (Bachelor in Computer Applications): This is a three years undergraduate course in Computer Applications. The course includes various computer languages, networking, operating system, and many more.
- CA (Chartered Accountancy): CA is one of the most famous courses in Commerce stream. The duration of this course is five years. The course involves subjects like accounting and taxation.
Apart from the above-mentioned courses, a candidate with Commerce stream can go for undergraduate courses like B.H.M, B.M.M, B.E.M, etc.
Eligibility Criteria for Commerce Courses:
- A candidate must have done 12th standard with Commerce as a stream from a recognized university.
- Also, a candidate appearing in the 12th examination can apply provided that he/she must submit all the necessary documents at the time of counseling.
- The candidate must have obtained the minimum % aggregate in the qualifying examination. For CA, the candidate must have 50% aggregate in class 12th.
Entrance Examinations for Commerce Courses:
Most of the colleges grant admission to BBA or B.Com course on the basis of marks scored in the 12th examination. List of the top two entrance examinations are given below:
- ICSI Company Secretary Entrance Examination: It is a national level examination conducted by Institute of Company Secretaries of India. It is conducted by the authority every year in the months of May and November. The examination shortlists the eligible candidates for Company Secretary.
- ICAI Chartered Accountant Entrance Examination: The Institute of Chartered Accountant of India conducts this examination twice a year to shortlist eligible candidates for Chartered Accountant. This test involves three sub-tests and the candidate must clear all the levels to be eligible for the CA course.
Apart from the above two, there are many universities who allow admission on the basis of their entrance examination like PUCET.
Jobs & Career Opportunities:
A Commerce has a wide range of choices while choosing a career. Students can make their career in finance, banking, insurance, business, etc. Below is the list of few job profiles:
- Accountant Executive
- Chartered Accountant
- Company Secretary
- Cost Accountant
- Finance Analyst
- Finance Manager
- Stock Broker
- Tax Auditor
- Tax Consultant