BDS i.e., Bachelor in Dental Surgery is the only dental, medical programme offered, in India. As indicated in the name, it comprises of the study of treatment of all kinds of dental illness. It is an undergraduate programme.
This article will provide you with all the relevant details regarding the course BDS, including:
- Duration of course
- Admission procedure
- Job and career opportunities
BDS is an undergraduate professional degree which entirely focuses on the treatment and prevention of any kind of sickness through Allopathy.
The course of BDS includes the study of:
- Human Physiology.
- Materials used in Dentistry.
- Human Oral Anatomy, Physiology, Histology and Tooth Morphology.
- Oral Pathology and Oral Microbiology.
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery.
BDS is counted under the stream medical science stream. The candidates who wish to go for the BDS programme in future must opt for science stream.
The course of BDS is five years long, which comprises of:
- Four years of the academic period
- Plus one year of internship
The admissions for BDS in any university or colleges is taken through NEET and common entrance tests (CETs if applicable) by the respective universities.
STEP 1 – Registration: The forms of the institute/ universities are made available before the examination either through offline or online mode. The candidates are supposed to fill the respective forms and submit it.
STEP 2 – Qualifying NEET and CET: The candidates are supposed to qualify the CET for taking admission in the desired university/ college.
STEP 3 – Counselling: After qualifying the respective CET with the minimum marks stated by the concerned authorities, the candidates have to go through a series of counseling for acquiring and locking the seats.
The candidates are called for the counseling, depending on their score in the CET.
STEP 4 – Verification of documents: After the candidates are allotted the seats, they are supposed to report to the respective university/ college for verification of documents.
STEP 5 – Taking admission: After verification of documents the final admission is carried out along with the submission of the admission fee.
The basic requirements for taking admission in BDS course, are:
- Qualifying the 10+2 examination with science stream, including the subjects physics, chemistry, and biology
- The candidate must have appeared in the NEET (National Eligibility Cum Entrance Test) and the respective CETs (if applicable).
- The candidates must have qualified the respective entrance examination with the minimum cutoff of as declared by the university/ college, he/she wants to take admission in.
- Age Limit: The age limit for the BDS program is 20 years for general category and 24 years for reserved category
NEET is the entrance examination which is a must for every candidate who wants to take admission in BDS program.
Besides NEET, some of the universities conduct their own CETs. Some of the CETs that are conducted are:
- Odisha Joint Entrance Examination)
- KEAM (Kerala Engineering, Agriculture and Medical)
- GCET (Goa Common Entrance Test)
- BVP CET (Bharati Vidyapeeth Common Entrance Test)
- IPU CET (Indraprastha University Common Entrance Test)
- HPU Shimla.
Jobs and Career Opportunities
The professions that can be opted after acquiring a degree in BDS programme, are:
- Dental Surgeon
- Oral and Maxillofacial Pathologist
- Oral Surgery