About Aeronautical Engineering:
Aeronautical Engineering is one of challenging and emerging fields of engineering which basically deals with the studying, designing, developing and maintaining spacecraft and aircraft. Aeronautical engineering deals with the in-depth study of Aeronautics. The branch enables youth to gain knowledge of advanced technology required in various aircraft. The branch involves aerodynamics, avionics, and propulsion.
An aeronautical engineer develops and designs technologies like helicopters, satellites, supersonic jets, and rockets. They develop new technologies in aviation, space exploration, and defense system. They have knowledge of aerospace materials, propulsion, aerodynamics, flight mechanics, etc.
An aeronautical engineer has a deep knowledge about the control systems, navigation systems, structural design, communication and radar system, testing launch, development and manufacturing of spacecraft and aircraft.
About Aeronautical Courses and their Duration:
There are a number of aeronautical undergraduates, postgraduate and doctoral courses available in various engineering colleges throughout India. Apart from this, a candidate can choose to do a Diploma in aeronautical engineering from a polytechnic college. The list of undergraduate courses in aerospace engineering is given below:
- Aerospace Engineering
- Aeronautical Engineering
- Aerospace System and Pilot Studies
There are four different types of courses in aeronautical engineering which are explained below:
- Polytechnic Diploma Courses: This course can be done after 10th standard or 12th standard examination. The duration of this course is 3 years.
- Undergraduate Degree Courses (B.E or B.Tech): This course is done after 12th standard examination. The duration of this course is 4 years.
- Postgraduate Degree Courses (M.E or M.Tech): This course is done after completing the graduation in engineering and the duration of the course is 2 years.
- Doctoral Courses (Ph.D.): Ph.D. in aeronautical engineering can be done after completing post-graduation in the same field and the duration of the course is 1-2 years.
About Admission Procedure in Different Courses:
There are approximate 145 engineering colleges in India offering around 235 courses in aeronautical engineering. Admission procedure for different courses is given below:
- Undergraduate Degree Courses (B.E or B.Tech): A candidate can get admission in the full-time undergraduate program by appearing in JEE Mains examination after 10+2 examination.
- Postgraduate Degree Courses (M.E or M.Tech): A candidate can get admission in the full-time undergraduate program by appearing in GATE examination after doing graduation in aeronautical engineering.
- Doctoral Courses (Ph.D.): A candidate can go for full-time doctoral courses in aeronautical engineering by giving examination held by various universities every year across India.
Eligibility for Different Course in Aeronautical Engineering:
For undergraduate courses (B.E or B.Tech):
- A candidate must have passed 10+2 standard examination in Science stream with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics from a recognized university.
For postgraduate courses (M.Tech or M.E):
- A candidate must have done B.E or B.Tech with at least 50% (60% for IITs, NITs, etc.) aggregate from a recognized university.
- A candidate must have passed 10+2 standard in Science stream from a recognized university.
For doctoral courses (Ph.D.):
- A candidate must have done M.E/M.Tech in the relevant field from a recognized university.
Examination for the Admission in Various Courses:
- For Undergraduate Courses: A candidate can get admission in the undergraduate course (B.E or B.Tech) of Aeronautical Engineering through JEE examination. Joint Entrance Examination (JEE) is an online entrance examination conducted by Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE). Through this examination, candidates can get admission in various IITs, NITs, and CFTIs.
- For Postgraduate Courses: A can get admission in the postgraduate course (M.E or M.Tech) through GATE examination. Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering is an online entrance examination which grants admission to various disciplines.
Jobs & Career Opportunities in Aeronautical Engineering:
The career in aeronautical engineering is very respectful, challenging and reputed. There are a lot of job opportunities for aeronautical engineers in countries like India, USA, UK, France, Germany, etc. A candidate has many job opportunities in the below sectors:
- Airlines Corporations
- Aeronautical Laboratories
- Aeronautical Development Establishments
- Aircraft Manufacturers
- Government-owned Air Services
- Defense Research and Development Organizations
- Private Airlines
- Department of Civil Aviation
- Defense Services
After the completion of course in aeronautical engineering, a candidate may opt for the following job profiles:
- Assistant Technical Officers
- Assistant Aircraft Engineers
- Aircraft Production Engineers
- Aircraft Production Managers
- Thermal Design Engineer
- Mechanical Design Engineer