Bioinformatics is the science of collecting and analyzing complex biological data such as genetic codes. It is a field that develops software tools and methods for understanding biological data. Bioinformatics is the application of information technology to the study of living things. It involves the use of computers to collect, organize, and use biological information to answer questions related to the field of Biology.
It is the study of a combination of biochemistry and molecular biology. It involves thesis of various factors which affects the movement in our biological systems.
Different Courses in Bioinformatics and their Duration:
There are a number of courses in Bioinformatics available in different streams. Below is the list of courses in Bioinformatics:
- Certificate Course: A certificate course can be done after 10th The duration of the course is six to eight months.
- Diploma Course: A candidate can do Diploma Course, and Advanced Diploma Course in Bioinformatics and the duration of the course is two years. Apart from the discussed courses, a candidate can do the postgraduate diploma in bioinformatics and the duration is two years.
- Undergraduate Course: A candidate can do the following undergraduate courses:
- Bachelor of Science in Bioinformatics- The duration of the course is three years.
- Bachelor of Science in Microbial Genetics and Bioinformatics- The duration of the course is three years.
- Bachelor of Technology/Bachelor of Engineering in Bioinformatics: The duration of this course is four years.
- Postgraduate Course: A candidate can do the following postgraduate courses:
- Master of Science in Bioinformatics- The duration of the course is two years.
- Master of Science in Microbial Genetics and Bioinformatics- The duration of the course is two years.
- Master of Technology/Master of Engineering in Bioinformatics- The duration of this course is three years.
Eligibility Criteria for Different Courses:
- Certificate Course: A candidate with any educational background can do a certificate course in Bioinformatics.
- Diploma Course: A candidate who has done 10th or 12th can opt for a diploma course. For the postgraduation diploma, a candidate must have done graduation from a recognized university.
- Undergraduate Courses: A candidate who has passed 10+2 examination with Science as a stream and biology as a subject from a recognized board can apply for the undergraduate course.
- Postgraduate Courses: A candidate who has done Bachelor of Science or bachelor of technology in the relevant field from a recognized university.
- Doctoral Course: A candidate who has done graduation and postgraduation from a recognized university in the relevant field can apply for the Doctoral course.
Admission Process for Different Courses:
- Diploma Course: Admission in the diploma course of bioinformatics is done on the basis of marks scored in the 12th The admission in the postgraduate diploma course is done on the basis of marks obtained in the graduation or in the entrance examination.
- Undergraduate Course: The admission in Bachelor of Science course in Bioinformatics is done on the basis of entrance examinations conducted by the universities. NEET is the national level examination which shortlists the eligible candidates for various fields like bioinformatics. Also, there are some institutes which shortlist candidates on the basis of marks scored in the senior secondary examination.
- Postgraduate Course: After graduation, a candidate can apply for post-graduation. Various exam authorities of different colleges conduct entrance examinations for admission in the postgraduate course.
- Doctoral Course: The admission in doctoral courses is done on the basis of marks scored in the entrance examination followed by the group discussion and interview round.
Jobs & Career Opportunities:
The courses in Bioinformatics open many career options for the applicants and can provide employment in various fields like biomedical science, diagnostic centers, hospital industry, government and private hospitals, universities and colleges, research agencies and many more. In India, it is one of the growing sectors and highly paid
A candidate with the degree in Bioinformatics can go for any of the following job profiles:
- Application Support Specialist
- Assistant Professor
- Bioinformatics Trainer
- Bioinformatics Programmer & Analyst
- Computational Chemist
- Clinical Pharmacologist
- Database Programmer
- Database Design & Maintenance Expert
- Gene Analyst
- Informatics Developer
- Network Administrator
- Pharmacovigilance Associate
- Protein Analyst
- Research Associate
- Structural Analyst
- Scientific Curator
- Sequence Analyst
- Techno-Commercial Associate