BHMS i.e., Bachelor of Homeopathic Medicine and Surgery is an undergraduate medical professional course. It involves the study of treatment of all kinds of sickness through homeopathy.
This article will provide you with all the relevant details regarding the course BHMS, including:
- Duration of course
- Admission procedure
- Job and career opportunities
BHMS is an undergraduate professional degree which entirely focuses on the treatment and prevention of any kind of sickness through homeopathy.
The course of BHMS includes the study of:
- Organon of Medicine, Principles of Homeopathic Philosophy and Psychology
- Anatomy, Histology, and Embryology
- Physiology including Biochemistry
- Homeopathic Pharmacy
- Homeopathic Materia Medical
BHMS is counted under the homeopathy medical science stream. The candidates who wish to go for the BHMS programme in future must opt for science stream.
The course of BDS is five and a half years long, which comprises of:
- Four and half years of the academic period
- Plus one year of internship
The admissions for BHMS in any university or colleges is taken through NEET and common entrance tests (CETs if applicable) by the respective universities.
STEP 1 – Registration: The forms of the institute/ universities are made available before the examination either through offline or online mode. The candidates are supposed to fill the respective forms and submit it.
STEP 2 – Qualifying NEET and CET: The candidates are supposed to qualify the CET for taking admission in the desired university/ college.
STEP 3 – Counselling: After qualifying the respective CET with the minimum marks stated by the concerned authorities, the candidates have to go through a series of counseling for acquiring and locking the seats.
The candidates are called for the counseling, depending on their score in the CET.
STEP 4 – Verification of documents: After the candidates are allotted the seats, they are supposed to report to the respective university/ college for verification of documents.
STEP 5 – Taking admission: After verification of documents the final admission is carried out along with the submission of the admission fee.
The basic requirements for taking admission in BHMS course, are:
- Qualifying the 10+2 examination with science stream, including the subjects physics, chemistry, and biology
- The candidate must have appeared in the NEET (National Eligibility Cum Entrance Test) and the respective CETs (if applicable).
- The candidates must have qualified the respective entrance examination with the minimum cutoff of as declared by the university/ college, he/she wants to take admission in.
- Age Limit: The age limit for the BDS program is 20 years for general category and 24 years for reserved category
NEET is the entrance examination which is a must for every candidate who wants to take admission in BHMS program.
Besides NEET, some of the universities conduct their own CETs. Some of the CETs that are conducted are:
- TS EAMCET
- AP EAMCET
- PU CET
- IPU CET (Indraprastha University Common Entrance Test)
- HPU Shimla.
Jobs and Career Opportunities
The professions that can be opted after acquiring a degree in BDS programme, are:
- Private practice
- Public health specialist
- Medical assistant
- Spa director