About Animation Course:
Animation – a combination of live action with 3-D animation, is the process of photographing successive drawings or positions or models to create an illusion of movement when the film is shown as a sequence. Animation involves the management of static images to generate the illusion. There is various type of animations available which are given below:
- Traditional Animation
- Stop Motion Animation
- Motion Graphics
- Computer Animation (2-D and 3-D animation)
The techniques used in animation are given below:
- 2-D Hand Drawing
- 2-D Computer generated
- 3-D Computer generated
- Stop Motion
- Model Animation
Animation Courses and their Duration:
In India, there are various undergraduate and certificate courses available in animation. Apart from them, a candidate can also do advanced (PG) course in animation. A candidate who wants to make their career in animation can opt for the below courses:
Undergraduate Courses Offered:
- Bachelor of Science in Animation & VFX: This course can be done after 10+2 standard and the duration of the course is three years. The course involves visual effects and animations such as games, animated movies, games, cartoons, etc.
- Bachelor of Fine Arts (Digital Graphics Technology): This course can be done after 12th standard examination. The course provides knowledge and experience in photography, painting, dance, sculpture, architecture, calligraphy, dance theatre, etc. This course can be done in full-time or part-time from a university. The duration of the course is three years.
- Diploma Courses: This course can be done after 10th or 12th The duration of Diploma after 10th is two years and the duration of the Postgraduate Diploma is one year.
- Diploma in Animation Film Making: This course provides knowledge about high-end 3-D animation movie making from pencil and paper to the 3-D animated output. The duration of this course is one year and two months.
- Advanced Diploma in Animation & Visual Effects: This is an undergraduate course which involves Diploma level Multimedia, Animation, and Gaming Course. The duration of the course is one year and six months.
- Diploma in Graphic and Web Designing: This course involves designing and developing skills a web designer must have. The duration of this course is one year. The course involves Photoshop, coral draw, Lightroom, flash, etc.
Certificate Courses Offered:
- Certificate in VFX
- Certificate in Animation
- Certificate in 3-D Motion
- Certificate in Gaming
- Certificate in Advanced Maya Character Animation
- Certificate in 3-D Character Design & Sculpting
Note: – The duration of certificate courses is between three and six months.
Admission Procedure in Various Courses in Animation:
To get admission in the undergraduate course of the animation, a candidate shall have to apply for the same through the website of the particular university he/she wants to.
Eligibility Criteria for Different Courses:
For Bachelor’s and Diploma Courses: A candidate must have passed a 12th standard examination in any stream from a recognized board. A candidate must have obtained at least 50% aggregate in the qualifying examination.
For Certificate Courses: A candidate should have passed the 10th examination to be eligible for the certificate courses.
Note: – There are some institutes which grant admission in Diploma after 10th examination also.
Examination for the Admission in Animation Courses:
There are a number of examinations held by different universities to grant admission in various courses of animation.
For admission in undergraduate animation courses:
- CEED (Common Entrance Examination for Design)
- UCEED (Undergraduate Common Entrance Examination for Design)
- NIFT (National Institute of Fashion Technology Entrance Examination
- AIEED (All India Entrance Examination for Design)
- NID DAT (NID Design Aptitude Test)
- AIFD WAT (Army Institute of Fashion and Design Written Admission Test)
- UIDEE (United World Institute of Design Entrance examination)
- CPDM DAT (CPDM Design Aptitude Test)
Jobs & Career Opportunities:
The animation is one of the popular choices among the youth of today for a career. Cartoons and animation films have hugely contributed to the growth of India media. There are thousands of film production houses, post-production houses, advertising agencies, web entities, computer and mobile game developers, and animation studios which provides jobs to the youth of India. The list of job profiles one can opt for is given below:
- Digital Painter
- Layout Artist
- Production Designer
- Script Writer
- Storyboard Artist