Animal Husbandry is one of the branches of agriculture which is concerned with animals that are raised for meat, milk, fiber, eggs, and other products. The field is concerned with the domestication of, care for and breeding of animals like dogs, goats, cattle, and other animals. Animal Husbandry includes day-to-day care, selective breeding and the raising of livestock.
About Types of Courses in Animal Husbandry and Their Duration:
There are five types of courses available in India in the specialization animal husbandry which are explained below:
- Certificate Course: A candidate can do a certificate course in Fresh Water Ornamental Fish Culture from an institute in India. A candidate with any educational background can do the certificate course. The duration of a certificate course is six to eight months.
- Diploma Courses: There are two types of diploma course a candidate can do. The duration of the course in one year. Below is the list of diploma courses available in India:
- Diploma in Animal Husbandry
- Diploma in Animal welfare Division of Medicine
- Diploma in Equine Husbandry, Medicine and Surgery
- Post Graduate Diploma in Companion Animal Practice
- Post Graduate Diploma in Nuclear Applications (Animal Science)
- Undergraduate Course: A candidate can do Bachelor of Science undergraduate course in Animal Husbandry and Dairying. The duration of the course is three years. The course includes topics like animal nutrition, animal psychology, genetics and animal breeding, breeding systems, etc.
- Postgraduate Course: A candidate can opt for Master’s in Animal Husbandry and Dairying. The duration of the course is two years.
Master of Science can be done in any of the below streams:
- Animal Biotechnology
- Animal Breeding & Genetics
- Animal Husbandry and Dairying
- Animal Husbandry Extension Education
- Animal Production & Management
- Animal Science
- Applied Animal Science
- Doctoral Course: An interested candidate can do Ph.D. in Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science. Apart from it, following is the list of streams in Animal Husbandry one can choose to make her/his career in:
- D. in Animal Biotechnology
- D. in Animal Biochemistry
- D. in Animal Breeding and Genetics
- D. in Live Stock Production & Management
Eligibility Criteria for Different Courses:
- Undergraduate Course: A candidate must have passed the 12th examination with Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics, and English or Physics, Chemistry, Biology or Agriculture with a minimum of 50% aggregate from a recognized university.
- Postgraduate Course: A candidate must have done graduation from a recognized university in the relevant field.
- Certificate Course: A candidate with any educational background can do a certificate course. There are no specific educational criteria for the certificate course.
- Diploma Course: A candidate who has passed 10th or 12th examination from a recognized board can apply for the diploma course.
- Doctoral Course: For the doctoral course, a candidate must have done graduation and post graduation in the relevant field from a recognized university.
Admission Process & Entrance Examinations for Animal Husbandry Courses:
- Undergraduate Course: The admission in Bachelor of Science course in Animal Husbandry is done on the basis of entrance examinations conducted by the universities. NEET is the national level examination which shortlists the eligible candidates for various fields like animal husbandry. Also, there are some institutes which shortlist candidates on the basis of marks scored in the senior secondary examination.
- Postgraduate Course: After graduation, a candidate can apply for post-graduation. Various exam authorities of different colleges conduct entrance examinations for admission in the postgraduate course.
- Diploma Course: Admission in the diploma course of animal husbandry is done on the basis of marks scored in the 12th
- Doctoral Course: The admission in doctoral courses is done on the basis of marks scored in the entrance examination followed by the group discussion and interview round.
List of Colleges with Animal Husbandry Course:
- Bombay Veterinary College, Mumbai
- Central Agricultural University, Andhra Pradesh
- Faculty of Veterinary Science & Animal Husbandry
- Guru Angad Dev Veterinary and Animal Science University
- Lala Lajpat Rai University of Veterinary & Animal Sciences, Haryana
- Sri Venkateswara Veterinary University, Andhra Pradesh
Jobs & Career Opportunities:
- Assistant Sales Manager
- Dairy Sales Executive
- Junior Logistics Officer
- Institutional Sales/Business Development Manager
- Market Development Manager
- Quality Control Head